punkin90 Posted 9 May 2013 , 8:00pm
post #1 of

I made a 3 tier cake this weekend. I iced the cake in Sugarshack's  buttercream. I had some left over icing from another cake that I had got out of the fridge and the bottom tier was iced in that. The middle and top tier was iced in the fresh batch. I had the worst time getting the icing to keep from cracking (I was putting fondant decorations on it). I redid them twice. Also, I put a dam of stiff icing in between the layers. The bottom tier that had the icing from the fridge did not bulge but the middle and top did. Am I supposed to put the frosting in the fridge for a day before I frost the cake? Today I went back to the Wilton recipe and did not have the same problem. I like Sugarshack's recipe especially when I am doing a large cake because it makes more and smooth's so much better. Any ideas what went wrong?

3 replies
punkin90 Posted 9 May 2013 , 10:43pm
post #2 of

Would refrigerating the Sugarshack icing after making it have helped the cake not to get that dreaded bulge between they layers? Does anyone know?

LKing12 Posted 9 May 2013 , 11:00pm
post #3 of

Sharon states that you should let the buttercream cool/sit.  I always do and have not had that problem.

punkin90 Posted 9 May 2013 , 11:04pm
post #4 of

I thought that might be the problem since the bottom tier did not bulge and it had all the weight of the other 2 cakes on it. It also seemed to smooth better. Next time I guess I need to make it a day ahead. Thanks

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%