Strange Cake Request - Good For A Laugh!

Business By silverdragon997 Updated 9 May 2013 , 3:00pm by AnnieCahill

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 8 May 2013 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 11

I got an email request for a quote for a 1st birthday cake.  Among other things, I always ask what the budget it, number of servings, and if there is a theme.  The theme is Marvel Charcters.  Number of servings: 100  The budget: $200.00.

Here is what she wrote:

"My first thought about having a cake for my son's 1st birthday was the letters of his first name in each cake, his name is JOHN FELIX so I was thinking if we can have a 9 cakes (simple) vanilla or chocolate flavored. But I also have the idea of having a big grand cake with his face on it or a sculptured mini of him,  then small cupcakes to be given to the guests particularly the kids. Please give me a quote for these two.Thank you so much."

First of all,  that budget is WAAAAAAY too low for either of the ideas.  Second, I would never make a cake sculpted of a 1 year old's face, so that his family can hack it up!  I'm also not sure how 9 cakes with the letters of his name on them would fit the theme.  I somehow don't think they'd be "simple" cakes.

10 replies
BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 8 May 2013 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 11

That does seem like alot of cake, going all out for a birthday the child wont even remember. I know the birthday needs to be special but that seems like an odd request.  I too agree the budget is way to low for those ideas. I would think mini cupcakes ( perfect size for little ones) with the letters of his name on it. or just one regular cake with writing on the top that says happy birthday would be enough, atleast until he gets a little older to remember his birthdays.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:06pm
post #3 of 11

We went all out for our kids first birthdays (however we have a big family and I did the cakes so it wasn't a big $$) so I can see wanting a huge party. Some people have a really hard time having children and want to celebrate big time, not so much for the baby to remember, but because of what they went through to have that baby.

I've never understood the face on the cake thing, cutting into anyone's face would zap my appetite, whether it is a picture or sculpted! icon_smile.gif

I'll be interested to hear what you end up doing!

silverdragon997 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
silverdragon997 Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:09pm
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

I'll be interested to hear what you end up doing!

Well, my quote I sent her was a lot higher than her budget, so I am guessing I won't be doing anything!

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:30pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdragon997 

Well, my quote I sent her was a lot higher than her budget, so I am guessing I won't be doing anything!

Good for you! Oh well, at least you won't have a 3D baby-head-cake in your fridge!

still_learning Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
still_learning Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 11

AI agree that none of those ideas fit the Marvel theme or made much sense - odd! Also - I'm not so big into cutting into something that looks like your child - yikes!!! I'm about to do a first birthday cake for a friend and when I asked for a theme I was told 'trees and observation'. Um - WTH is an observation cake? I am thinking of a pile of leaves with a mini sculpted figure of the 1 year old on top that will be removed and NOT eaten. I'm wondering if that's what their email meant - a mini sculpted figure as a cake topper rather than a sculpted cake. I really hope they didn't want to hack into their kid!

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:59pm
post #7 of 11

AHaha, I'm doing a nature and animals cake this weekend!

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 9 May 2013 , 2:44am
post #8 of 11

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

Good for you! Oh well, at least you won't have a 3D baby-head-cake in your fridge!

I agree. Ha, that would be something

Rommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rommy Posted 9 May 2013 , 3:36am
post #9 of 11

AI can't stop laughing!!!

girlisrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
girlisrad Posted 9 May 2013 , 1:31pm
post #10 of 11

That is a hideous idea! AHAHAH!!  I am surprised she didn't ask you to make the sculpture spit chocolate ganache into a bucket like a fountain HAHAHHA!icon_biggrin.gif

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 9 May 2013 , 3:00pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
can have a 9 cakes (simple)

This kills me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%