Silver Fondant!

Decorating By mellbel25 Updated 12 Dec 2014 , 8:00pm by bakeforfun21

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 7 May 2013 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 18

AHey guys!!

I'm making a minion cake this weekend. I was wondering if anyone knows how I can get a silver color on my fondant. I have tried the luster dust alone and it DID NOT work out! I also have the Wilton gel coloring and I was thinking of just using a little bit of black , but as most of probably already know, it always comes out purple!! Gahhh! Please help!

17 replies
Yummaroos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yummaroos Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 18

if i were you I would just make your white fondant kneed in some black fondant to make a gray let it sit awhile then roll out cover the cake and then use a airbrush spray or even the wilton silver aerosol silver spray they sell. duff actually carries a awesome one swell. spray that and let dry get great silver color. Hope That helps!

MonogramE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MonogramE Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 18

Have you tried Wilton Color Mist in Silver? I used it this past weekend on a Call of Duty cake I made for my son and it worked great.

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:12pm
post #4 of 18

A little black added to white fondant doesn't come out purple for me. When I make silver, I do a drop or two of black Americolor and dust on some luster dust.

KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 18

I needed "chrome" (ie silver) trim for a car cake, and I started with medium grey fondant.  Once formed into the shapes I wanted and dried somewhat, I mixed Silver Dust with the teeniest bit of vodka (just enough to make it wet) and painted the fondant, which worked fine.  Next time, however, I think I'll start with a lighter grey fondant.  The silver dust didn't work on white fondant at all...just gave it a wee shimmer, but not a silver finish.

The Silver Dust was expensive, but you don't need much.  It also says it's "non-toxic...for Hi-lite only", so that's something to keep in mind if you choose to use that product.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenC 

The silver dust didn't work on white fondant at all...just gave it a wee shimmer, but not a silver finish.

The Silver Dust was expensive, but you don't need much.  It also says it's "non-toxic...for Hi-lite only", so that's something to keep in mind if you choose to use that product.

Well, if you had highlighter (which it sounds like you do according to your own description), then yes, it should have looked just like a silver spoon. Over white, black, yellow, doesn't matter. This is silver over white gum paste, and it's even shinier and realistic in person. I went back later and added another coat. Silver as silver can be. *

craft symphony Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craft symphony Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:48pm
post #7 of 18

AHi, im no expert, but by trial and error I've done this once. Used grey sugar paste and then used pearlescent white metallic food paint. The effect was a nice silver color! Used it to make gun barrels on my pirate ship cake.

KathleenC Posted 7 May 2013 , 10:27pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Well, if you had highlighter (which it sounds like you do according to your own description), then yes, it should have looked just like a silver spoon. Over white, black, yellow, doesn't matter. This is silver over white gum paste, and it's even shinier and realistic in person. I went back later and added another coat. Silver as silver can be. *

Oh wow!  That's perfect!  I guess I didn't use it correctly.  That looks waayyy better than what I achieved (being far from professional, I was quite satisfied with it  icon_smile.gif).   I also didn't go over it more than once...that might have given me more of the shine you're showing.

Next time.  icon_smile.gif  This time was a learning experience, as is most everything I do with cakes.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 7 May 2013 , 10:41pm
post #9 of 18

I tinted my white fondant gray and then used the silver luster dust mixed with vodka and painted it on. It worked perfectly. :)

babycakes1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babycakes1987 Posted 2 May 2014 , 3:52pm
post #10 of 18

AZCouture,

What product did you use to get that silver color?  Its perfect!

Thanks!!

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:02pm
post #11 of 18

@babycakes1987

Quote:

Originally Posted by KathleenC 

The Silver Dust was expensive, (not really) but you don't need much.  It also says it's "non-toxic...for Hi-lite only", so that's something to keep in mind if you choose to use that product.

It's made by CK. About $4.00 a pot, goes a long way.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:15pm
post #12 of 18

Don't forget to tell your customers that anything painted with the stuff labeled silver or gold highlighter must not be eaten or served. It's labeled correctly now, but when you buy it next to the edible stuff, it's hard to imagine it's not at least non toxic. That's for the old packaging, I think they changed the name to imperial dust.

Also, I'm sure AZ knows this, but for posterity, I don't know if CK actually manufactures anything. What they mostly do is buy in bulk from China and repackage it.

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:17pm
post #13 of 18

^^^^^Yep.

KathleenC Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:20pm
post #14 of 18

Quote:

@babycakes1987

It's made by CK. About $4.00 a pot, goes a long way.

I paid $10 for my wee pot (about the same size as a small Wilton colour pot), at our local decorating supply store. I was too late to order online at the time.  Thankfully, it does go a long way.  :)

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:32pm
post #15 of 18

Oh dang!!! Yeah, I cringe when I have to buy something in the local deco store. I mean, I'm all about supporting small business, but it sure is a BIG difference in price. Especially when you both order from the same company, and you see how much markup they have to put on their stuff. Youch.

KathleenC Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:42pm
post #16 of 18

Ya, this place is pretty much the only game in town, other than Michaels and Bulk Barn, neither of which carry much in the way of specialty items.  And being a hobby decorator, I often don't think of what I might need far enough in advance of actually doing a cake.  So if I can't get it at Michaels (hopefully with a coupon), I have to buy at her store and pay the big bucks.  And I know she buys in bulk and marks up, but thankfully I don't have to buy much there.

Next time I have to use the silver, I'm going to try to get the finish you did.  It looks great.

AZCouture Posted 2 May 2014 , 4:47pm
post #17 of 18

The owner of the shop here died recently after a battle with cancer. No one even knew she was sick! And by the time she found out, it was too late for any treatment apparently. The family jumped in and has been keeping it going, thankfully. Not sure if they're going to keep it open though. Would be disappointing not to have that backup in an emergency, regardless of the price. That's just my fault, for poor planning. :(

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 12 Dec 2014 , 8:00pm
post #18 of 18

Quote:

What can i use as a highlighter? I need to make dog tags for an army cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%