Having Problems With Wasc Recipe! Too Gummy!

Baking By vogt51 Updated 8 May 2013 , 4:41pm by vogt51

vogt51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vogt51 Posted 7 May 2013 , 6:05pm
post #1 of 4

Hello,

I've been using the following recipe for my white cakes but I'm finding that the cakes are gummy. Am I doing something wrong or is there something wrong with this recipe?

1 box pilsbury white cake mix

1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
3/4 tsp salt
1 - 1/3 C water
4 egg whites
8 oz sour cream
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 tsp clear vanilla
1 tsp almond extract

I bake at 350, should I be baking at 325?

I fill my pans 3/4 full and use metal flower nails instead of the baking strips.

Thank you!

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 May 2013 , 8:18pm
post #2 of 4

Your post dosen't say if the whole cake or just the tops are gummy. Nor how long you are baking it.

The recipe you are using is NOT the *Original* WASC. The *original* WASC recipe was developed to be used with the larger sized mixes (18.25 oz as I remember).  Now that the companies have reduced the size of the mixes some have changed the formula but I have found that using Betty Crocker mixes don't require any change to compensate(sp?>) for the smaller size and it bakes up perfect in a 9x12x2 pan - even without wet strips.

Have you ever had your oven calabrated?  It could be off and not baking at the temp you think it is.  It might also just take a few extra minutes.  After all, times listed are usually just a guide and not meant to be a 'hard & fast" rule :)

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 8 May 2013 , 12:28am
post #3 of 4

I use the original recipe and use additional mix to compensate for the smaller boxes.  I agree it gets gummy almost gooey ....Drives me nuts.

vogt51 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vogt51 Posted 8 May 2013 , 4:41pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you for your responses! I never really know how long I bake a cake. I go by the wilton chart and start checking it when they say the cake will be done. It always takes longer, by at least 15 minutes or so. I think it's the whole cake that's gummy. Mostly the middle though. When I go to cut it, it doesn't want to cut well, it gums up my knife and rips the cake a bit. The outside of the cake is dark brown and it pulls away from the pan sides. When I put a skewer in the cake, it comes out clean.

I tried putting 1/4 cup less sugar in the batter and baking it at 325 for the second layer. It didn't rise as much as the firs one, so there was nothing to cut off the top. So I'm not going to know if it's gummy until I cut a hole in the middle of the cake tomorrow for the pipe. I'll try to remember to post the results. :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%