Imbc Woes

Decorating By lennyk Updated 7 May 2013 , 3:44pm by ellavanilla

lennyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lennyk Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:39am
post #1 of 18

Attempted to make some IMBC today,

failed yet again, I think my success average might be 1 in 5.

Made sure the meringue was not warm and added the soft butter, still no go.

Turned into the usual soupy mess,

beat it for 10 mins and still no go.

I think I have tried everything and just about given up.

Done it in a very cold room

butter not too cold

butter softened

different syrup temps

warmed the bowl whilst whipping

chilled the bowl whilst whipping

use both whisk and paddle

and so on

17 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:57am
post #2 of 18

Ok, try this..............works for me every time.  Use darn near frozen butter, cut up into small chunks.  I don't know who told you to use room temp butter.  Make sure the meringue is still warm but not hot.  Cut up the butter - if it's too hard - place in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time until you can easily chip off pieces with a sharp knife.  The second thing is that your coloring should be added at the end, after the IMBC has been perfected and is set up.  That way, if it starts to break down, you know that you've added too much color.  Only use gel color, never liquid.  And IMBC doesn't take to dark colors - it's best for pastels and medium colors.  Yours looks medium - bordering on dark.  And lastly, in case of an emergency, pop the soupy mess into the freezer for a half hour then rewhip.  Let us know how this works for you. 

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 7 May 2013 , 2:22am
post #3 of 18

When do you put the coloring in?  If the butter cream is not finished (emulsified), it may not be able to incorporate the extra liquid from the food coloring. That might be the problem, although I suspect at least some of your attempts have been without coloring.  You did not mention your recipe.  It may simply need more butter.  The IMBC recipe I used to use that worked well was 2 cups (1 pound) of butter, 1 cup of sugar total, and 5 large egg whites.  One time I made IMBC and  it looked just like yours. I added another cube of butter and it came right together.  I assumed I had counted my butter wrong.  Try adding another cube of butter, and it may come together.   I used to make nothing but IMBC until about a year ago I gave SMBC a try.  I have never gone back.  It is easier to make, does a better job of pasteurizing the egg whites, is less buttery tasting, and less finicky.  There are lots of recipes on CC.  Here is the one I use.

SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM

YIELD

8 Cups

INGREDIENTS

10 egg whites (1.5 cups)

2 cups granulated sugar (14 ounces)

24 ounces (6 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature cut into large chunks

¼ cup vanilla, or other flavoring

*Mod edited to remove mixing instructions.

I hope that helps.  i wish you success, because  meringue buttercreams are so good! 

lennyk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lennyk Posted 7 May 2013 , 2:33am
post #4 of 18

AThanks for the kind words, I will attempt SMBC sometime, Dunno why I never tried it after so many imbc failures, I must be really persistent or stubborn

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:16am
post #5 of 18

So strange! I use really soft butter, and quite often toss it in while the meringue is still a tad too warm. What recipe are you using??

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:44am
post #6 of 18

AYou can make either SMBC or IMBC with clarified butter and it comes together, and I always use soft butter so I don't think that is your problem- I think your problem is all the color you've added before it was ready OR you've used carton egg whites that are not suitable for meringues.

Are you using carton egg whites??? Or fresh eggs?

yortma Posted 7 May 2013 , 4:04am
post #7 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF 

You can make either SMBC or IMBC with clarified butter and it comes together, and I always use soft butter so I don't think that is your problem- I think your problem is all the color you've added before it was ready OR you've used carton egg whites that are not suitable for meringues.

Are you using carton egg whites??? Or fresh eggs?

I can't believe I have the nerve to say something contrary to FromScratchSF.  You are my hero, and I love your white cake!   But I do use carton egg whites for my SMBC and have not had any problems.  I prefer fresh, but sometimes cave to convenience when in a rush or simply out of fresh.  Maybe it's (a relative) beginners luck!

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 7 May 2013 , 4:06am
post #8 of 18

What is your recipe for IMBC ?

FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2013 , 4:33am
post #9 of 18

yortma - that's just silly... I'm wrong ALL the time :D  Just ask my husband.  

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 7 May 2013 , 7:00am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

I can't believe I have the nerve to say something contrary to FromScratchSF.  You are my hero, and I love your white cake!   But I do use carton egg whites for my SMBC and have not had any problems.  I prefer fresh, but sometimes cave to convenience when in a rush or simply out of fresh.  Maybe it's (a relative) beginners luck!

Come closer yortma, let me wipe the brown off your nose. icon_twisted.gif

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 7 May 2013 , 11:54am
post #11 of 18

AI found the tips on this link very helpful, http://*********.com/frosting-icing-etc/buttercream-meringues/italian-meringue-or-mousseline-buttercream-or-imbc. Also, I usually take the butter out of the fridge after pouring the sugar into the meringue, let the meringue mix for 20 mins, then add the butter 1 T at a time. If its still too soft refrigerate in 10 minute increments. Add color last.

Lfredden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lfredden Posted 7 May 2013 , 11:56am
post #12 of 18

AOops I guess we're not supposed to post that website? For some reason it blocked it out.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 May 2013 , 12:12pm
post #13 of 18

I use Warren Brown's IMBC recipe.  You can find it on YouTube.  I do exactly as he describes, except I use more sugar in the meringue and in the syrup (about 1/2 cup extra).  It comes out great every time.  I opted to use IMBC over SMBC because I'm lazy and I'd rather just dump in the syrup than whisk egg whites over a stove, LOL!

Syriana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Syriana Posted 7 May 2013 , 12:57pm
post #14 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by yortma 

When do you put the coloring in?  If the butter cream is not finished (emulsified), it may not be able to incorporate the extra liquid from the food coloring. That might be the problem, although I suspect at least some of your attempts have been without coloring.  You did not mention your recipe.  It may simply need more butter.  The IMBC recipe I used to use that worked well was 2 cups (1 pound) of butter, 1 cup of sugar total, and 5 large egg whites.  One time I made IMBC and  it looked just like yours. I added another cube of butter and it came right together.  I assumed I had counted my butter wrong.  Try adding another cube of butter, and it may come together.   I used to make nothing but IMBC until about a year ago I gave SMBC a try.  I have never gone back.  It is easier to make, does a better job of pasteurizing the egg whites, is less buttery tasting, and less finicky.  There are lots of recipes on CC.  Here is the one I use.

SWISS MERINGUE BUTTERCREAM

YIELD

8 Cups

INGREDIENTS

10 egg whites (1.5 cups)

2 cups granulated sugar (14 ounces)

24 ounces (6 sticks) unsalted butter at room temperature cut into large chunks

¼ cup vanilla, or other flavoring

*Mod edited to remove mixing instructions.

I hope that helps.  i wish you success, because  meringue buttercreams are so good! 

Why were the mixing instructions removed?

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:13pm
post #15 of 18

Mixing instructions are protected by copyright.

yortma Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:42pm
post #16 of 18

It was my own  description for mixing, there are not very many different ways to say it.  But anyway, you can find the instructions easily on line.  Even if the amounts are different, the technique is the same.  Mix and heat whites and sugar over water bath to pasteurize eggs and dissolve sugar, whip to stiff peaks and blend in butter, then flavorings.  

FromScratchSF Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:00pm
post #17 of 18

Yes, but Cake Central doesn't know that, and they aren't going to check each mixing instruction posted to make sure it wasn't taken direct from a website or a book.  So they just delete them all.  

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:44pm
post #18 of 18

Hey, OP, have you checked your thermometer? If your sugar hasn't come to temperature before you add it to the meringue this could be the problem. The sugar must be at 250f. 

I also agree that the coloring shouldn't be added before the butter, but I don't think that's the problem you're encountering. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%