Help!! Milk Chocolate Ganache Separated : /

Decorating By kccakes2 Updated 7 May 2013 , 5:02pm by urbangrl2007

kccakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kccakes2 Posted 6 May 2013 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 9

HELP!!!! I have made milk chocolate ganache three times now. The first was amazing and the last two times it has separated and didnt look very pretty. What could I be doing wrong? I used 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream and 6oz of milk chocolate (the first and last time it was kroger brand and the second was with Ghirardelli). I used a double boiler and let the cream come just to a boil and then poured over chocolate and let sit for 5 mins. I let it sit for awhile and then whipped it so I could use it as frosting. Are my ratios off? I really want to make this work!! Thanks for any tips! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 7 May 2013 , 12:31am
post #2 of 9

Your ratio to make white chocolate ganache is off.  Its 3-1 for white chocolate and 2-1 for milk or dark.

So for 1/2 c of heavy whipping cream (that's 4ozs) then you need 12 ounces of white chocolate.

HTH

kccakes2 Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:51am
post #3 of 9

AAhhhhh...I see! Thank you, I'll try again tomorrow:)

urbangrl2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
urbangrl2007 Posted 7 May 2013 , 4:29am
post #4 of 9

auntginn, That would work for white, but I think they're asking for milk, but yes, 2:1; chocolate to cream. Dark is usually 1:1, I think 2:1 for dark would be too hard. 

For milk chocolate, 4oz cream, 8oz chocolate. Heat the cream to a boil, you can melt the chocolate before, it helps, but not necessary. Pour the cream over the chocolate and let set. Mix together and voila. Ganache. Let it set at room temp to set up, then whip it on a mixer until fluffy. Enjoy!

icon_smile.gif

auntginn Posted 7 May 2013 , 5:32am
post #5 of 9

Your right Whitney, and I think it has to do with the percentage of cocoa as well.  My dark chocolate is only 60% when others use 75%.

tarttokig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarttokig Posted 7 May 2013 , 7:14am
post #6 of 9

You might want to leave it a bit longer. I was a bit too eager once and whipped it too soon and it separated.. so now I always let it cool a while longer and have never had any problems with it since :)

kccakes2 Posted 7 May 2013 , 11:31am
post #7 of 9

AIn my BHG cookbook it says to refrigerate over night and then whip. But it doesn't say weather to whip at room temp or right from the fridge..has anyone tried it this way? Is refrigerating necessary? (I only did it this way the first two times.)

auntginn Posted 7 May 2013 , 2:52pm
post #8 of 9

I always refrigerate, but I would find it nearly impossible to whip straight out of the refrigerator.  The ganache would be too stiff.

Then I whip it up again and it works so smooth.

urbangrl2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
urbangrl2007 Posted 7 May 2013 , 5:02pm
post #9 of 9

Do not whip right from the fridge!! It would potentially break what ever whip attachment you were going to use, depending on how stiff it was. Let it sit out for an hour or two, then whip it. 

Once you do whip the ganache though, it's amazing. I did a caramel ganache like that for a cake. Loved it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%