How Do I Create This Look. I Love It But I Am Not Sure. I Would Like To Do This With Buttercream But Not Sure If It Is Possible. Please Help. Thank You So Much.

Decorating By nelsonkiley Updated 7 May 2013 , 8:28pm by nelsonkiley

nelsonkiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nelsonkiley Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:03pm
post #1 of 8

How do I make this texture on buttercream, any help would be wonderful.  I work with pretty much only fondant, I have done buttercream but nothing that looks like this.  Thank you so much. 

7 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 8

It looks like a semi-rustic finish.  I would think that it would be achieved by laying on a thick layer of buttercream, then using the tip of your spatula to lightly scrape off bits to create that design.

You could practice first just by slathering some buttercream on a flat surface and working with it until you get the look you like.

Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:10pm
post #3 of 8

AI've never done this, but it looks like it might be spatula work. Looks like they iced the cake smooth, then went over it with a spatula to make the effect.

nelsonkiley Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:12pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you soooo much!!!  I really appreciate the help.   It makes sense what you both said.  I am going to try it first.  The wedding in not until Aug.   I am new to this site and I am already loving it.  Thank you again.  :)

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 May 2013 , 3:42am
post #5 of 8

The whole advantage of this is that you don't have to ice it really smooth since you are roughing it up anyway.  Just lay the icing on smooth-ish and work with a spatula or spoon to get the effect you want.  Lots of variations-vertical, horizontal, rougher, smoother, random, etc.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 7 May 2013 , 4:11am
post #6 of 8

AI would venture to say you cannot do this well with a crusting buttercream, a meringue icing would be best for it. If you use a crusting, try adding a lot more liquid, so it crusts more slowly, or use water on your spatula, or mist your cake with water.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 7 May 2013 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 8

Or just keep moving, you wouldn't want to be messing around with it forever so that you have to fight the crusting.  This is one you just put it on, mess it up and be done with it. 

nelsonkiley Posted 7 May 2013 , 8:28pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you very much.  I love all the tips.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%