Crumb Coat

Baking By emmie81 Updated 8 May 2013 , 1:21am by SecretAgentCakeBaker

emmie81 Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 6

AHi I just wondered what the crum coat they se in the American tv shows its more like cream than the buttercream we make in the uk which is very thick and pulls the cake.

If anyone knows the recipe please let me know.

Many thank Emma xx:grin:

5 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 6

AA crumb coat is just a thin coating to seal in the crumbs so they don't get into the outer layer of frosting. You can just thin down your regular buttercream with a bit of liquid (whatever you used in the buttercream) then spread that in a thin layer over the cake to seal in the crumbs. You use whatever buttercream/frosting you are using for that particular cake.

I think Toba Garret has something called cake spackle that some people use, but I have not used that before.

emmie81 Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:23pm
post #3 of 6

AThank you SecretAgent I understand what crumb coat is i have been decorating for 2 years iI just wondered what the guys on the American tv shows use as it seems thinner and more manageable than basic butter cream and wondered why that was.

bighand Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 6

emmie 81 i would like to know that too, as it doesnt look anything like our buttercream in uk

AndreasCakes Posted 7 May 2013 , 9:46pm
post #5 of 6

I take my buttercream (thick, like you're saying) and add water to it. I mix it until it is a very thin consistency and use that as my crumb coat. I think that's what they're using on the shows too... just a thinned version of their regular buttercream.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 8 May 2013 , 1:21am
post #6 of 6

AI apologize for misunderstanding the question.

Quote by @%username% on %date%