My First Time Making A Wedding Cake 130 Or 150 Ppl??

Decorating By janetteg Updated 7 May 2013 , 12:57am by urbangrl2007

janetteg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetteg Posted 6 May 2013 , 4:40pm
post #1 of 6

AThis will be my first time making a weeding cake for 130 or 150 ppl, I don't know how many tiers and how much should I charge her? She wants fondant, and bride, groom, bear, 3 deers, a duck out fondant or gum paste should be better to make it?? Yes her theme is hunting. Thank you

5 replies
kashaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kashaj Posted 6 May 2013 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 6

me too trying to find somebody to help icon_sad.gif

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 6 May 2013 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by janetteg 

I don't know how many tiers

www.wilton.com/cakes/making-cakes/baking-wedding-cake-2-inch-pans.cfm

urbangrl2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
urbangrl2007 Posted 6 May 2013 , 6:13pm
post #4 of 6

I just did a wedding cake a couple of weeks ago and it was four tiers. It was a 6", 8", 10" and 12". I think that serves about 130-150 people. Look at www.wilton.com for the way to cut a wedding cake, and it will tell you how many pieces you can get out of each tier. If they're being traditional and won't serve the top tier, this guide accounts for that. Take a look, it's super helpful. 

As for charging, especially with fondant, I'd say about 9-12$ a slice. So if you figure about 130 slices out of the cake at $9 a piece, that's already $1,170. Spendy, but that's what they go for. You can price accordingly though. Just remember to take into account the amount of money you spent on making and decorating the cake and how much time you put into it. As for the little figures, I'd do them out of fondant, or you can go with a 50/50 mix of fondant and gum paste. Gum paste just dries out really easily, but that's completely up to you. If you're getting really detailed with the characters I'd use gum paste. 

Pricing is tricky. That looks like a really high amount, so you might want to sit down with the B&G and talk to them about it. Are they on a budget? Do they know that fondant is more expensive than buttercream? Do they want a big multi tiered cake or just a small two tier for them to cut and eat and a sheet cake for the rest of the reception? Not only will that cut costs down drastically, but it would also save them money. Is there anything special you need to do as far as flavors (ie vanilla bean, special extracts or what not)?

If I'm doing a cake for a friend I usually don't charge as much as other people, and consider it my gift to what ever the occasion is. But don't be afraid to charge. You need to cover your costs, plus make something for your time of making the cake. If it's too high for them, sit down with them and see if you can find ways to lower the cost.

Good luck, and as always, have fun!!!

janetteg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janetteg Posted 6 May 2013 , 10:37pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you,  wow I got great answers im glad I asked. And im going to talk to my client and decide which its the best option for both of us, like I said its my first time im exiting to do it and nervous at the same time, but yoy give me good options on the figures.  Thank you so much to all icon_biggrin.gif

urbangrl2007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
urbangrl2007 Posted 7 May 2013 , 12:57am
post #6 of 6

You're more than welcome!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%