How Long Can You Start A Cake Project

Baking By smplycreative2 Updated 20 May 2013 , 4:07am by smplycreative2

smplycreative2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smplycreative2 Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:16pm
post #1 of 23

I want to know i have to make serva cakes this weekend coming up .I find myself making cake the night before and wind up staying up all night.Is there a time frame where I can start and the cake will be ok to serve ...how long do I have before the cake is no edible anymore plesae help....

22 replies
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 May 2013 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 23

You can bake ahead and freeze.  You can also start making buttercream now and store it in the fridge.  You can also fill and crumbcoat and then freeze.  You can also freeze fully decorated cakes.  :)

smplycreative2 Posted 6 May 2013 , 9:58pm
post #3 of 23

Thanks so much..... for your advise.. my freezer is so small :( ...  but I'll do it .....do I have to Thor it before putting the fondant? 

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 7 May 2013 , 10:30am
post #4 of 23

Yes I would make sure everything is thawed before decorating.

smplycreative2 Posted 14 May 2013 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 23

I JUST READ FULLY DECORATED ONES? FONDANT WON'T CRACK

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:06pm
post #6 of 23

Shoot, I don't know why you would have such a problem! Someone in my area claims to bake everything fresh the MORNING of the events, giant towering creations, so step it up why dontcha?icon_lol.gif

RoyalCreamery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoyalCreamery Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:26pm
post #7 of 23

ALMBO @ AZ!!! Your silly...

princesscris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
princesscris Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:26pm
post #8 of 23

Morning of is actually pretty slow. On TV giant towering creations take only 60 mins, less ad breaks. icon_lol.gif

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 14 May 2013 , 9:42pm
post #9 of 23

AFor a Saturday cake, I start on Monday. I make all my cakes and freeze them. Gum/sugarpaste on Tuesday. Buttercream and modeling on Wednesday. Fill, ganache, and fondant on Thursday. Decorate on Friday.

I have 3 little ones, so when I do everything, it's mostly at night. I'm sure you could do more in a day. I can't without getting batty. This is a hobby for me, so I try not to stress myself out.

Hope that helps.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 15 May 2013 , 12:00am
post #10 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesscris 

Morning of is actually pretty slow. On TV giant towering creations take only 60 mins, less ad breaks. icon_lol.gif

Hahaha!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 15 May 2013 , 3:54am
post #11 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Shoot, I don't know why you would have such a problem! Someone in my area claims to bake everything fresh the MORNING of the events, giant towering creations, so step it up why dontcha?icon_lol.gif

Bwa hahahhahaha

I proudly tell my customers that I bake the Weds or Thurs of their event, throw it in the freezer pretty quickly to trap all that moisture that keeps it from drying out.  They seem to like that idea!  And the fact that it's only frozen for a night or two makes them say, "Oh, OK...that's cool with me!"

mommyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyb Posted 15 May 2013 , 7:21pm
post #12 of 23

This may be a silly question, but how are you storing your cakes in the freezer? Do you allow them to cool completely before putting them in the freezer? Would it be better to store in the fridge if it's just a couple of days in advance? Oh, and how long do you let a frozen cake set out to thaw before decorating it? Thanks in advance!

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 15 May 2013 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 23

Best to freeze as soon as they are cool. Wrap in plastic wrap and make sure you thaw out before trying to decorate. If you just put them in the refrigerator, they may dry out because of the air or absorb odors.

smplycreative2 Posted 15 May 2013 , 10:45pm
post #14 of 23

Funny it's not one cake I'm doing It's four to five orders for the weekend dear.....So I think I have been doing that but need my sleep....

smplycreative2 Posted 15 May 2013 , 10:49pm
post #15 of 23

I not an expert so i don't think 60 minutes is going to do for me 

smplycreative2 Posted 15 May 2013 , 10:56pm
post #16 of 23

Thanks ladies for all the input.. Well I know now that I can freeze cake. Up to how many day is it good to stay in the frezzer is another ? that ? has not been answered yet. As for doing it the same day I have done that but now I'm getting 4 to five cake orders for the weekends .....so I think I have stepped up my game getting great responds and orders. I just want to get rest when I need to and not do all nighters ...

NJsugarmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NJsugarmama Posted 16 May 2013 , 2:08am
post #17 of 23

AIf you have them wrapped well...I'd say you can leave them in for a month. I usually make them a week ahead, bake and immediately wrap and freeze. I used to be kinda skeptical of that method, but it really makes the cake moist. I really hate that word. Sorry.lol

smplycreative2 Posted 16 May 2013 , 3:25am
post #18 of 23

Great thanks I don't think I want to keep a cake in for that long but it's great to know ....

allycrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycrumbs Posted 16 May 2013 , 6:27am
post #19 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

Bwa hahahhahaha

I proudly tell my customers that I bake the Weds or Thurs of their event, throw it in the freezer pretty quickly to trap all that moisture that keeps it from drying out.  They seem to like that idea!  And the fact that it's only frozen for a night or two makes them say, "Oh, OK...that's cool with me!"

Unfortunately, many people in my neck of the woods are still clueless about how much time it takes to complete a cake. Couple of aunts dropped by on Mother's Day for coffee and cake that I made for my mom. It was 1pm and one of them asked if I baked the cake that same morning.

I told her I baked on Friday night and decorated Saturday night (it was meant to be a surprise, so I could only work on the cake after my mom went to bed) because I wanted to give it my mom early Mother's Day morning. She reacted with such shock and disdain.. "WHAT? So many days ago? *insert disgusted expression* Is it still edible??".. Erm, well right up to that point you were happily stuffing your face with it and declaring that it was good, so...

Sigh. Needless to say she is now on my NCFY (No Cake For You) list. icon_mad.gif

smplycreative2 Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:04pm
post #20 of 23

lol well i had to make 5 cakes this week in two day stressed and a couple of hours sleep .smh....there has to be a better way ...that or not take so many orders wel most people don't realize how long a supermarket cake has been in the package lol...next time give her a slice of pie like the one in The help lmao

smplycreative2 Posted 19 May 2013 , 11:07pm
post #21 of 23

all so big tower cake would be in possible to make in 60 minutes it take that long if more to bake it smh....

annabananana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annabananana Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:17am
post #22 of 23

AI served samples to a MOB today that were baked in January. I wrapped them with freezer paper and put in a freezer bag. They must've been just fine because I got a deposit. Just saying.

smplycreative2 Posted 20 May 2013 , 4:07am
post #23 of 23

wow that's great

have to invest in a freezer just for the cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%