Business Advice Required For New Member

Business By kaylea87 Updated 5 May 2013 , 5:15pm by Norasmom

kaylea87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylea87 Posted 4 May 2013 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 9

A

I'm trying to raise money for a friend who has cerebral palsy and wants to try and get a adopted bike. The government denied her the funding, so we are trying to raise the money for her. I have decided to use what i learned in cake decorating classes and sell cakes to family, friends and friends of friends. 

I am wondering if anyone has any tips for me on how to get started on doing it?

thanks

8 replies
letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 4 May 2013 , 9:30pm
post #2 of 9

Are you asking for marketing advice? I'm just not sure from your question what kinds of tips you are looking for.

kaylea87 Posted 4 May 2013 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 9

AYes, marketing, pricing, baking. Etc

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 4 May 2013 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 9

AWhere do you live? The first step is looking into the food safety laws in your area, since you may not be able to sell food without a licensed and inspected commercial kitchen.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:09am
post #5 of 9

AHow you choose to spend the profits made from your business is irrelevant. And it's unlikely such a small endeavor would be granted any kind of tax exemption for fundraising. In other words, you need to adhere to your state and county's (or councils) regulations and laws when setting up a food business (presumably at home). Also consider business name registration, taxation declarations, and insurance. Most of all ensure you are not only legal, but have the required Food Safety/Handling qualification. This varies from place to place, so hop online and research your state and local requirements! Good luck with it :-)

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:35am
post #6 of 9

AYou should also look at how much money you are trying to raise, and what kind of timeframe you have. If you have several years and need to raise $100K a business might be a good option, but if you only need $1000 or so there may be better alternatives.

SystemMod2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod2 Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:45am
post #7 of 9

AHi everyone. I have changed the title of this thread to reflect the OPs goals in relation to the content of his/her posts.

This is not a thread about raising money for the disabled, it is about starting a cake business. We would prefer your thread titles reflect the intent of your posts, as to do otherwise is misleading and confusing to the members who feel inclined to respond.

Please continue...

kaylea87 Posted 5 May 2013 , 5:07pm
post #8 of 9

the bike we are looking to purchase for her is only $1500, and we are hoping to get it by next june. We also are doing garage sales along with selling cakes and cupcakes.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 May 2013 , 5:15pm
post #9 of 9

There are lots of legalities with selling food, even for fundraising.  That being said, if it were me, legal or not,  I'd sell baked goods, like cupcakes, at the garage sales.  On this forum, people are very well versed on following the letter of the law, but it's genuine concern.  The last thing you would want is to be sued because your baked goods made someone sick  (highly unlikely with non-potentially hazardous food).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%