How The Heck Did She Do This??

Decorating By cookiescakery Updated 4 May 2013 , 6:41pm by cookiescakery

cookiescakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiescakery Posted 4 May 2013 , 2:54pm
post #1 of 6

I get to make a Dr. Seuss cake for Teacher Appreciation Week next Thursday, and I found this picture (from Sweet Pea Cakes

in El Paso, TX) ...I would love to make something like this, however I have NO idea what technique she used...Can anyone tell me what this is so I can perfect it by next week? :)

5 replies
cookiescakery Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:00pm
post #2 of 6

...and after searching this site I see she was featured just a few days ago :)  So I see it's buttercream...are the characters/details fbct or something else?

kblickster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kblickster Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:14pm
post #3 of 6

The details appear to be fondant with painted highlights.

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:24pm
post #4 of 6

Details are most likely fondant or gumpaste.  they might be painted or, just as likely, finished with food coloring markers.  The pieces were probably cut with simple photocopied templates.  It is a lot of work, but pretty straight forward.

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:25pm
post #5 of 6

I agree, they look like fondant cut outs. Maybe she hand painted the details on. Why not try PM'ing her? She can tell you the technique better than anyone else :) good luck with it and post pics when you finally do your version.

cookiescakery Posted 4 May 2013 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 6

I posted this in my excitement this morning after I saw it; She made it look so awesome I thought it must be something more advanced than fondant cutouts! Thanks for the responses to my apparently obvious question! Haha 

I hadn't even thought to search and see if she was on here, and when I did I felt silly for not checking first :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%