Friday Night Cake Club 5/3/13

Decorating By Elcee Updated 6 May 2013 , 1:33pm by OTcakes

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 2:45am
post #1 of 57

Friday Night Cake Club is called to order!

Working on a cake? Thinking about a cake? Reading about cake? Up late? Join in and tell us what you're doing, what you've done, get help, etc.

Linda (Elcee) icon_smile.gif

(filling in for Cat while she's on vacation)

56 replies
Baking Me Crazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Me Crazy Posted 4 May 2013 , 2:55am
post #2 of 57

AI am almost done with a Pittsburgh Steelers boob cake. Chocolate cake filled with chocolate ganache.

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 2:56am
post #3 of 57

I'm not actually working on a cake tonight but I did go shopping for cake supplies earlier this evening.

I was having a rough cake week (http://cakecentral.com/t/757638/officially-feeling-low-sorry-its-a-long-post/30#post_7389594 ) and I got a call that really lifted my spirits. I did an Icing Smiles cake last August. When I delivered it, I met the child's little brother and he charmed my socks off. Actually, the whole family did. I told the mom that I wanted to make a cake for the little brother, too, as my gift, when it was his birthday. Well, mom called the other night and we had such a nice chat and she told me (again) how much they loved the cake and what a hit it was at the party and that their friends and family still talk about it. I'm making a fishing themed cake for their 4 year old next weekend icon_biggrin.gif. I feel like I got my groove back.

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 2:58am
post #4 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baking Me Crazy 

I am almost done with a Pittsburgh Steelers boob cake. Chocolate cake filled with chocolate ganache.

Pittsburge Steelers boobs? Are they tattooed with the Steelers logo? LOL, I'm having a hard time envisioning the design. I'm sure it will be fun!

Baking Me Crazy Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:03am
post #5 of 57

AIt's actually not as inappropriate as it sounds. It's boob and torso cake with a Pittsburgh a steelers shirt on. Lol

Not really topless

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:04am
post #6 of 57

Good Evening Elcee and all.... Elcee how sweet.  Its so nice to be able to give back to others.  I love it.

BakingMeCrazy, Don't forget the pic.  I'm not a Steelers fan, but know of several.

I am baking a cake, the only one I have this week which is usually the way it is.  Tomorrow is my birthday and I got suckered into having a party.  Small but still, I like to relax on my birthday, now I have to cook, clean, get dressed and yes have an awesome out of this world cake.  Huh, will be simple.  But not decorating until tomorrow.  icon_lol.gificon_wink.gif

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:11am
post #7 of 57

Hi everyone! I'm up late .. reading and looking at pics of cakes .. searching various topics here on CC. I seem to think about cakes too much at night if I'm not sleepy enough LOL. My daughter and I make cake pops earlier, well tried to. They were kind of a flop, they were too big/heavy and kept falling off the sticks and I couldn't get the candy melt coating to turn out smooth on them either. . but we did have fun and they were edible! heheicon_lol.gif

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:14am
post #8 of 57

Baking Me Crazy (love your username, BTW), since it's not topless you'll definitely have to post pics!

auntginn, sorry you have to cook and clean for your birthday. It'll be fun, though, I like making my own birthday cakes. I try a design or technique that interests me and usually try a new recipe or flavor combination. I look forward to seeing yours!

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:14am
post #9 of 57

Evening all!  I'm gonna be up VERY late baking my socks off--preparing for 2 cakes due Thursday. Baking and freezing for the next 3 nights--YAWN! Stressing because I am pretty sure the heating element in my oven is "off"  I have rebaked 3 layers because they burnt!  One of the cakes I am preparing for is a very dear friend of mine's Wedding cake---can't very well serve BURNT wedding cake!!  Send any and all spare positive vibes my way this week please!  This may be the week I end up BALD!!!! 

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:26am
post #10 of 57

I am working on a cross cake for a little girl's  First Communion and a chocolate 6" sports-themed cake for her brother's birthday.  I also made cupcakes to freeze for next week's project.

Norasmom Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:26am
post #11 of 57

Elcee, I am glad your spirits are lifted.  Icing Smiles is such a wonderful organization to be a part of.

bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:31am
post #12 of 57

Made a cake today using the cake girls rescipe and also used there chocolate buttercreme wow they are both great tasting. www.thecakegirls.com

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:40am
post #13 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by iCookiBake 

Hi everyone! I'm up late .. reading and looking at pics of cakes .. searching various topics here on CC. I seem to think about cakes too much at night if I'm not sleepy enough LOL. My daughter and I make cake pops earlier, well tried to. They were kind of a flop, they were too big/heavy and kept falling off the sticks and I couldn't get the candy melt coating to turn out smooth on them either. . but we did have fun and they were edible! heheicon_lol.gif

iCookiBake, my one and only attempt at cake pops was a flop, too. icon_biggrin.gif

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:44am
post #14 of 57

I've been meandering back and forth between here and facebook and found a decorator using one of my pictures as her PROFILE picture! I'm torn between being completely steamed and flattered that someone stole one of my pics LOL. Steamed is winning. I'm about to go back and post on her wall with a request (demand?) that she remove it.

Cakemommy2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakemommy2012 Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:47am
post #15 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

I've been meandering back and forth between here and facebook and found a decorator using one of my pictures as her PROFILE picture! I'm torn between being completely steamed and flattered that someone stole one of my pics LOL. Steamed is winning. I'm about to go back and post on her wall with a request (demand?) that she remove it.

Oh WOW!!  The nerve of some people!  I agree def DEMAND that the pic be removed-and I would make sure you post it on her wall not privatly so others know she stole your pic! 

Norasmom Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:50am
post #16 of 57

Definitely post on her wall not privately....she plagiarized your cake! It's a really, really pretty cake.

OTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OTcakes Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:56am
post #17 of 57

Hi everyone! I actually got done with my cake early (before midnight) but I'm up late cleaning the house and prepping for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow. I made her a carnival themed cake. Bottom tierr is a dummy; middle tier is WASC with raspberry filling and top is chocolate cake with chocolate SMBC filling.

photo carnivalcake_zpsb0e1507c.jpg

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 3:59am
post #18 of 57

OTcakes, it's AMAZING! Fantastic job on it! Have fun with your daughter's party!

Baking Me Crazy Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:00am
post #19 of 57

AOTcakes I love your cake. You did a great job!

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:04am
post #20 of 57

Bad enough that she stole your photo Elcee, but to use it as her/his/it's profile?  Be both flattered and angry.

Fun cake OT.  I bet you enjoyed making it.

I did the pig cake last week.  I am so ODd on chocolate cake that I couldn't even face the last piece. 

I will have to get my act together and post some photos but I've been varnishing all week and it is leaving me headachy and sick and not feeling like doing much so am just watching Craftsy videos this week instead of doing.

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:09am
post #21 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norasmom 

Definitely post on her wall not privately....she plagiarized your cake! It's a really, really pretty cake.

Thanks, Norasmom. It's one of my favorites and the cake that has received the most attention. It's my most favorited here, and the first of my cakes to be the most saved of the day. It also got pinned and repinned I don't know how many times on Pinterest. I kind of feel like once you put something out there on the internet, it's out there for sharing, pinning, copying, what have you, but using in as your PROFILE picture seems like claiming it in a way just copying it doesn't.

auntginn Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:11am
post #22 of 57

Oh how sad for you Elcee, I really enjoy putting up other peoples cakes, not as a profile but on my wall and telling my friends/family who made it.  They all think I have a whole lot of caker friends.  I assume she's a CC'er as well?

ICookIBake, I hate cake pops.  I love cake balls.  Much easier

By the way, has anybody seen the cake pop roses that Wilton put on fb?  I made a couple of them to see how hard they would be to make.  I made with the chocoalte clay and then with Fondant.  Fondant was so much prettier and the people who saw the display loved them.

For my cake, I've chosen a simple 2 tier round cake, bottom will be chocolate mudd cake with peanut butter bc & filling, covered with dark chcolate ganache.  I tried it once and was heavenly, I sold it that same week.    Top tier wasc but haven't decided what filling.  Design will be pretty plain.  One of my fav colors is purple so I made 3 huge ruffle open flowers... lol I don't even know what they are called just see them on this site.

I'm actually looking forward to it know, know that I've jumped into it.

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:21am
post #23 of 57

Having a hard night. Something is not coming out with my baking this week, but i'm running out of time, so we are going to have to go as is.  My cakes are coming out really dense. i've baked them 3 times. Same result using the weights I always do.  I think it's my shortening, it has a funny texture. But it too late to get more, and I don't have enough time.

Working on three projects.

1) Cupcakes for my son's school auction. The theme is Hollywood so I'm making 100 cupcakes with 100 cupcake toppers.  Thank God those are vegan and they came out right.

2) 1/4 sheet cake, mickey mouse themed. The customer brought their own edible image they want on it, but there is a tear in it and they still want to use it. They gave it to me torn. I'm nervous about this one. Baked the cake 3 times. I'm going with the last one. 

3) Plain cupcakes, no decor. Make these cupcakes three times as well. There is a lot in my trash tonight.

I'll post pictures tomorrow or Sunday. 

auntginn Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:26am
post #24 of 57

tdovewings, sorry your struggling tonite.  Wishing you the best for the weekend.

stiffybeans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stiffybeans Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:32am
post #25 of 57

A

Original message sent by OTcakes

Hi everyone! I actually got done with my cake early (before midnight) but I'm up late cleaning the house and prepping for my daughter's birthday party tomorrow. I made her a carnival themed cake. Bottom tierr is a dummy; middle tier is WASC with raspberry filling and top is chocolate cake with chocolate SMBC filling.

photo carnivalcake_zpsb0e1507c.jpg

OTcakes, u did a beautiful job!

stiffybeans Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:34am
post #26 of 57

A

Original message sent by auntginn

Good Evening Elcee and all.... Elcee how sweet.  Its so nice to be able to give back to others.  I love it.

BakingMeCrazy, Don't forget the pic.  I'm not a Steelers fan, but know of several.

I am baking a cake, the only one I have this week which is usually the way it is.  Tomorrow is my birthday and I got suckered into having a party.  Small but still, I like to relax on my birthday, now I have to cook, clean, get dressed and yes have an awesome out of this world cake.  Huh, will be simple.  But not decorating until tomorrow.  :lol: :wink:

auntginn, HAPPY BIRTHDAAAY!!!

auntginn Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:35am
post #27 of 57

Stiffybeans, it is adorable.  I love it.

Here is my fondant cake pop rose.

It is quite large.

auntginn Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:43am
post #28 of 57

Thank you Stiffybeans

stiffybeans Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:45am
post #29 of 57

Aauntginn, that's so pretty! I haven't tried my hand at flowers of any kind just yet. I wanted to wait until I had time to just sit with tutorials and relax. The way you have thinned the edges look so neat and clean! Too bad I can't bite into one right now lol. There is sooo much inspiring work on this site. Love it!

Elcee Posted 4 May 2013 , 4:46am
post #30 of 57

tdovewings, I hope things turn around now. Bad baking nights are awful!

auntginn, it's really not that bad a thing to happen in the grand scheme of things,now that I'm over the original outrage, it's been entertaining watching my friends' reactions and the decorator trying to dance her way around it :). Your cake pop rose is great and your cake sounds DELICIOUS! Happy birthday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%