First Time Making Complicated Cupcakes - Questions

Baking By blbst36 Updated 20 May 2013 , 1:20pm by smile22

blbst36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blbst36 Posted 4 May 2013 , 1:07am
post #1 of 3

I want to make some cupcakes for my mother's birthday.  It was originally going to be a cake, but I figured cupcakes would be less complicated.  I still have questions, though.  I am making an almond cupcake with raspberry filling and buttercream frosting.

1. Is it worth it to make the filling from scratch or should I just buy seedless preserves?

2. After I fill the cupcakes, do they need to be refrigerated?

3. How about after frosting them?

4. What would be the easiest way to transport them to work (they are gonna be my guinea pigs) without having to buy a cupcake holder?

Thank you so much - I would ask her, but it's going to be a surprise.  I also don't want to get my co-workers sick from not storing them correctly.

2 replies
connie9003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
connie9003 Posted 4 May 2013 , 1:41am
post #2 of 3

Rule of thumb if you put fruit in them they will need to be refrigerated. Let them sit out long enough for the butter cream to "Set up" then they should travel fine. I would put them in a box where they are snug so they cant shift or flip over. I find that the half aluminum disposable pans work great and they will fit a doz. And you don't have to worry about not getting your container back

smile22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smile22 Posted 20 May 2013 , 1:20pm
post #3 of 3

not sure if u still need to make the cupcakes but this is my recipe for raspberry buttercream 

1/2 cup of seedless raspberry jam not jelly 

2 sticks of butter at room temp

6 cups of sifted powder sugar 

mix jam and butter until creamed then slowly add in the powder sugar

if the mixture is to stiff you can add in a few tablespoons of milk i start with one tablespoon then mix if its still stiff i add a little more if you add to much the buttercream will become wet and not pipable 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%