Hello Everyone! What Do You Think?

Decorating By stiffybeans Updated 1 May 2013 , 9:57pm by stiffybeans

stiffybeans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stiffybeans Posted 1 May 2013 , 8:05pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, guys! I am another newbie here. After reading tons of information from this site, youtube videos, and other sites, I tried my first real fondant cake. I have been baking for years, but never tried decorating. Thank you for all of the helpful tips and inspirational pics. 

My son, King, had a birthday last week and I made him a King's crown on a pillow. It took about three evenings after work and boy was it time consuming! Despite the trial and error, it was fun.  I used Wilton's fondant, made a cake pop for the top, gel for some of the dots, and sugar gems and ring pops for jewels. The inside was cream cheese pound cake and fudge brownie with buttercream icing. 

Since his bday dinner, a few people have asked me to make decorative cakes for them. I did this because it was for my son (have a 16th bday cake to do for my daughter  for the 19th), I had no intention of selling cakes! There are only a few cake recipes in my arsenal. Plus, I haven't a clue how to price them, but who am I to turn down $$! So I intend to research and practice every chance I get. I'm even making a small, simple graduation cake for my aunt (50 yrs old) who graduates this weekend (she got her BA! Go auntie!). From now on, every family milestone and special occasion will get a cake lol!

Anyway, I had fun and learned a lot from all of you. Just wanted to know what you thought about my first try. So much to learn and I am hoping you guys can help me as well as my being some sort of help to someone else. Have a wonderful week!

4 replies
pursuing_perfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pursuing_perfection Posted 1 May 2013 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 5

The CC community is great. 

Awesome job on your first fondant cake.  No wonder people are asking you to make cakes for them.  You can either view it as a great way to practice your hobby without having to invest your own money (at least charge enough for your supples and an extra tool or two)...or if you want it to be a source of income, then don't be afraid to charge at least 3-4 what they would pay for a Supermarket cake. (You may not get as many orders initially, but word will spread as people see your work).    Research other bakers in your area to get an idea of what the going rate is for custom cakes.  And HAVE FUN!

debbs0723 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbs0723 Posted 1 May 2013 , 8:35pm
post #3 of 5

That is beautiful and I too agree that it is no wonder people are asking you.  I started as a hobby also then people kept asking me to sell cakes to them.  I used to sell them much lower but do not be afraid to price around the same price as a high end bakery would price if the customer is wanting the kind of quality that you just did. I'm in the suburbs of Houston and all my cakes are priced differently but I do price per serving.  (Wilton party servings).  Some people will be more than happy to pay while others are hoping that you will work for next to nothing for them.  Of course family is always different.  Do not sell yourself short. 

morninglorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morninglorie Posted 1 May 2013 , 9:10pm
post #4 of 5

Your cake is wonderful!  It has so much detail and is so clean/neat--I'm new to decorating too, and totally jealous of your skill! :)

stiffybeans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stiffybeans Posted 1 May 2013 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 5

AThank you all for your kind words of encouragement. Morninglorie you are too funny! I'm sure u do great work :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%