Sticking Fondant To Fondant

Decorating By LIllybell23 Updated 1 May 2013 , 2:19pm by LIllybell23

LIllybell23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LIllybell23 Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:28pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake this week that has a fondant tree going up the side of a three tier cake.  So I am trying to find out the best method for attaching fondant to fondant.  I have had fondant decorations fall off in the past and I don't want that to happen on this one! ; ) Thanks so much!!

Sarahicon_smile.gif

4 replies
eats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eats Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:42pm
post #2 of 5

AFirst choice is royal icing, second would be piping gel use sparingly.

thallo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thallo Posted 1 May 2013 , 1:58pm
post #3 of 5

Royal icing will work.  So will the piping gel.  But when I am in doubt of a large piece of fondant on fondant or a large gum paste flower on the side of a cake with fondant, I use melted candy melts.  It always works for me.  I would suppose that there could be some problem is it is outside in the heat, but, otherwise, it is a miracle worker.

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 5

Hi Llllybell23

What method have you used before - to attache fondant decorations to fondant?

I have found vodka or edible glue a great adhesive - used sparingly, for attaching lighter fondants accents to fondant i.e ruffles, strips or frills and any light weight elements  - and yes I would agree with eats, royal icing is a good choice, especially for heavier pieces - as in large flowers such as Roses or Lillie's etc,  Hope this helps!

Good luck and Happy Baking!

LIllybell23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LIllybell23 Posted 1 May 2013 , 2:19pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much for the help!  In the past I haven't used anything but water but I have never done anything super heavy on a wedding cake like this.  I will try your suggestions!  Thanks again for the help! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%