Half Sheetcake (18"x12") Doesn't Fit In The Cake Boxes

Business By JodysJunk Updated 30 Apr 2013 , 11:21pm by Baker_Rose

JodysJunk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodysJunk Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:30pm
post #1 of 10

Hello,

I'm new to posting in this forum.  I've been using it to read when I need help for some time though.  It is great.  I hope I'm posting my question in the correct location.

Anyhow, when I try to put my half sheetcakes into any brand cake box, the frosting border hits the sides of the box, therefore I cannot use them.  I cannot be the only one this is happening to, but when I Google the problem, I cannot find an answer.  This is the reason I finally "joined" this forum instead of just creepin'.  lol

Thank you!! :o)

P.S.  I'm pretty new to making sheetcakes.

9 replies
AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:47pm
post #2 of 10

I don't do a lot of sheetcakes. Literally maybe 1 or 2 a year. So when I do them, I always buy the single boxes from Michael's, Jo Ann, whatever. I've noticed the same thing, so I just trim my cakes down a little to leave room for the borders.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 10

AAre you putting the front fold together before or after adding the cake?

This is a bit hard to describe without photos. Usually, cake boxes have flaps that fold into each other. Put the boa together except that front flap. Slide the cake in the box, the.m close & fold the front flap. There's no way to prevent knocking the side if you try to drop it in.

JodysJunk Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:58pm
post #4 of 10

Thank you.  That's what I was thinking I should do.  I just feel bad ... like I'm taking away from the customers.

JodysJunk Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 7:00pm
post #5 of 10

I do leave it undone and slide it in. 

Thanks for the reply to my post.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 10

AThe cake board should fit exactly...how much room is there between the edge of the frosting and the edge of the cake board?

JodysJunk Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 7:46pm
post #7 of 10

ALike only about 1/4"-1/2" It's a Wilton pan and a Wilton cake board. I just don't get it.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:18pm
post #8 of 10

In the real world a 1/4 sheet is 8-inches by 12-inches instead of the 9X13 many people think it is.

Also, a half sheet is more of a 12x16 instead of a 12x18.  I have no idea why wilton made the 12x18 pan, maybe because it's the biggest you can go in an average home oven.  And if you use their 11x15, well, it's small.

I switched to using fat daddios sheet pans years ago.  The 8x12 fits perfect in the classic quarter sheet cake box once the sides are iced and borders at the bottom.  Also, the 12x16 fits in the commercial boxes with icing and borders.  AND, when you use the full sheet boxes, two 12x16s fit side by side just right, no trimming needed.

I love the fat daddio and they bake up beautifully.  I have quite a few of my wilton cake pans develop pin holes in them.  The metal on the bottom just flaked away and they have holes.

I have made sheet cakes daily at work for 25 years, and at home weekly as well.  Back in the days, we would literally cut the sheet cakes in half, and half again and they always fit in the box perfect, I couldn't understand why I had such problems getting my home cakes to fit until I whipped out a measuring tape and compared sizes.  I bought the fat daddio and didn't look back! 

JodysJunk Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:46pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much for all that information.  I will look into those pans.

I've noticed a few of Wilton's products are less than ideal.  I use rose nails as baking cores to help cakes bake quicker, more evenly and Wilton's always rust.  A different brand I bought at Hobby Lobby, same price, don't.  I'm assuming they are stainless steel.

Any suggestions on which tips to buy?  I also have rust issues with Wilton's tips.

Thank you!! 

Jody :o)

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 11:21pm
post #10 of 10

I have just bought the tips at the cake decorating store, they are wilton or ateco and yes, if you don't clean them and then let them air dry they rust.  Fortunately they are so cheap I just keep multiples of my favorites on hand and I don't mess with trying to clean little ones, I just buy another one.

I bought the fat daddio from amazon.  Hubby gets gift cards from his hotel points, and he travels 5 days a week.  icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%