Decorating Newbie - Need Advice

Decorating By pbeck Updated 30 Apr 2013 , 5:13pm by Morrisa2

pbeck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pbeck Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 1:36pm
post #1 of 7

Good morning all,

Okay so perhaps decorating "newbie" is even a bit generous when it comes to describing my level of skill at cake decorating. Most of the time I am lucky if icing goes on (and stays on) the cake without somehow ripping the top of the cake off.

So, with that said - I most along to what brought me here. My son is turning 7 soon, and has his heart set on and Ironman cake for the small party we are having for him. Money is so tight that I just *cant* afford to go purchase a character cake to feed everyone like I normally would, so I am trying to figure out how, with my less than stellar skills, I can make it myself.

I know that I can go buy a toy or two and out them on top for the character, but what can I do for the rest of the cake? I have a friend who has some decorating "tools" that I can use. (She would make it for me is going to be out of town at the time.) Is there a simple method I can look up, or some basic that I can do that will look okay?

I really just want him to have a good birthday, and a cool cake has always been a part of that.

Any help you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

6 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 7

Yes, definitely ice the cake using the "star tip" method.  Look up how to do a "frozen buttercream transfer," that might be a good idea too, and VERY easy.

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 2:37pm
post #3 of 7

I was going to say a frozen buttercream transfer of the image might be easiest. just look up ironman coloring pages and print it out and use that.

SOmething like this http://cdn001.cakecentral.com/f/fc/900x900px-LL-fcf0021f_gallery5742731303049289.jpeg coul be pretty cool and simple. You can color your buttercream one solid color and then use another for the borders or something. When is his birthday? I would definitely say do a practice cake and watch LOTS of videos. I've been able to get my buttercream pretty smooth from reading other's techniques on here and watching youtube tutorials. There's also tutorials on youtube for FBCT method that should help. And in the end, I'm sure the effort you put forth into making your son a cake will be appreciated.

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 7

My first cakes for my son were the star tip method. I would find the image I liked, enlarge and print it out. Transfer the outline to your frosted cake, by poking a t-pin or tooth pick through the image. Pull off the image and color the outlines. You can pick up a tube of piping gel at the grocery store to do your outlines. 

here is a good tutorial 

http://prudentbaby.com/2011/05/entertaining-food/create-any-cake-design-with-a-star-tip-2/

If you only have one tip, you can put your different colored frostings in open ended pastry bags and then switch them out of the one with the tip, 

jen

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 7

AI the cake is tearing, the frosting may be too stiff. Try adding a bit of water.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:48pm
post #6 of 7

AAlso, always have enough frosting in front of the spatula. The spatula should be pushing it around not up to the edge. That may not make sense...

Morrisa2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Morrisa2 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 7

When icing, put lots on to start.  Dump it on the top and smear lots on the side until you get as smooth as possible.  It's easier to take icing off than to add in a desired spot.  As far a design, try the frozen buttercream transfer.  Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%