My wife is having problems with her icing melting faster than she can make decorations, any suggestions? thanks
In order to help you we would need to know what recipe she is using.
Swiss style Meringue Buttercream
Egg whites from 6 large eggs
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 cups confectioners suger
3/4 cup shortening
2 cups unsalted Butter
1T Vanilla Extract
Perhaps the whites were warm and melted the butter? Next time try putting it in the fridge for about 15-20 and whip. That should help.
This is the recipe I use. It is from Sweetepolita and it has not failed me yet.
- 10 large, fresh egg whites (300 g)
- 2-1/2 cups (500 g) sugar
- 3 cups (680 g) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and cool, but not cold
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon (20 ml) pure vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- Wipe the bowl of an electric mixer with paper towel and lemon juice, to remove any trace of grease. Add egg whites and sugar, and simmer over a pot of water (not boiling), whisking constantly but gently, until temperature reaches 160°F, or if you don't have a candy thermometer, until the sugar has completely dissolved and the egg whites are hot.
- With whisk attachment of mixer, begin to whip until the meringue is thick, glossy, and the bottom of the bowl feels neutral to the touch (this can take up to 10 minutes or so). *Don't begin adding butter until the bottom of the bowl feels neutral, and not warm.
- Switch over to paddle attachment and, with mixer on low speed, add butter cubes, one at a time, until incorporated, and mix until it has reached a silky smooth texture (if curdles, keep mixing and it will come back to smooth). *If mixture is too runny, refrigerate for about 15 minutes and continue mixing with paddle attachment until it comes together. Add vanilla and salt, continuing to beat on low speed until well combined.
- Add additional flavours, purees, as desired.