Buttercream Filling To Sweet.

Decorating By rojoraq Updated 9 May 2013 , 6:50pm by rojoraq

rojoraq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rojoraq Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 8

Ahi. im new to this page and new to the cake decorating. im trying make a three tied cake for my daughter but have found that the buttercream filling is to sweet. im covering the cake with fondant so i need a tough filling. any help much appriciated.

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 8

OK well you seem to be very sure of what you want to use, like a "tough" filling.

There is very little we can do to help you because we don't know which "tough" icing recipe you used.

Most of us make a three tier cake stable by using dowels in each tier, so that cake sits on supports and NOT on cake.  That way we can use ganache and other "soft" materials on the cakes, that tastes less sweet and works OK under fondant.

There are many places on Cake Central that describe how to do this.  Please use the search box at the top, or use google to search for "cake dowel support" and you might find something that you can use.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:46am
post #3 of 8

Hi, welcome to this site. It is a wonderful place to get lots of help. I see it is your first post. There are many good frosting recipes on this site . There is a member here. I can,t think of her user name, but i am linking you to her website. Please go there and try some of her recipes and watch her videos on icing cakes and stacking them, etc. Also, many decorators today use bubble tea straws instead of wooden dowels for support. I think this site will help you alot. Also, many decorators, use italian meringue buttercream and swiss meringue buttercream when icing and filling their cakes. They are delicious. There are many extras you can add to any  of these icings, etc. So good luck and you need any more help. you can p/m me  . Others will also be of help to you.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 9:15am
post #4 of 8

I have heard that a pinch of salt will cut the sweetness in buttercream. Can any one elaborate?

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 6:51pm
post #5 of 8

ADoramoreno62- it does cut the sweetness, I use popcorn salt because it is a smaller grain than regular salt, and I add a little pinch at a time until I get the desired "less sweet" taste! Hope that helps

rojoraq Posted 1 May 2013 , 7:05am
post #6 of 8

AThank you for all your help. i am using dowels for layering the cake. the problem is that i live in spain and really cannt use a lot of things because of the heat. this sight is brilliant. i will be in here a lot from now on. xxxx

rojoraq Posted 1 May 2013 , 12:27pm
post #7 of 8

okay another question, can i mix in strawberriws to the butter cream, has anyone tried it.

I always make butter cream with 500gms of icing sugar, 250gms butter and then add artificial flavour.

I know it may be a silly question, sorry before hand. thanksxxxxxxxxxxx

rojoraq Posted 9 May 2013 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 8

hi everyone, thanks for all your help. i used one of the recipes in the end given by one of the memebers for a wonderful buttercream, did the base by itself, mixed the middle layer with fresh strawberries, and the top with dark choclate. one of the best i have ever made. thanks

not bad for my first cake, with three tiers.

thanks again

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%