First Double Barrel!!

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 11:12pm by sixinarow

sixinarow Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 9:04pm
post #1 of 11

So excited to show my first double barrel to people who would appreciate all that goes into it! :) Thanks for all the advice from the experts on here-- it helped so much! I did it with a single piece of fondant...even though you can't tell because of the flowers..but celebrate with me 'cuz we know it's there!! icon_biggrin.gif

www.thecrumbcoat.wordpress.com

But I still stink at pictures...

10 replies
Baking Queen Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 11

AThat is breath taking!! Must have taken for ever to make all those fondant flowers wow you go girl! Baby on top is a nice touch;)

Baking Queen Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 11

AThat is breath taking!! Must have taken for ever to make all those fondant flowers wow you go girl! Baby on top is a nice touch;)

Omas Cakes Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 11

AVery pretty cake! You did a great job, and all the time spent shines through.

Lovebug2867 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 9:28pm
post #5 of 11

Beautiful cake. Love the double barrel look yet haven't tried it yet.

sixinarow Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 1:30pm
post #6 of 11

Thanks guys! The flowers took a while..there were some late nights and early mornings! :) The cake was for my little sister's baby shower..it took a lot for her to have a baby so I just wanted to make something special to celebrate! :)

Baking Queen Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 11

A

Original message sent by sixinarow

Thanks guys! The flowers took a while..there were some late nights and early mornings! :) The cake was for my little sister's baby shower..it took a lot for her to have a baby so I just wanted to make something special to celebrate! :)

Awe well your love truly did shine through..and it's still shining lol!

auntginn Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 6:11pm
post #8 of 11

Congratulations!! That is an awesome cake.

Homemadebytz Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 11

Am I the only one who doesnt know what a double barrel is :( Sorry I am totally new to fondant .. but your cake is lovely lovely lovely .. how did you make those flowers? 

NHQUEEN Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homemadebytz 

Am I the only one who doesnt know what a double barrel is :( Sorry I am totally new to fondant .. but your cake is lovely lovely lovely .. how did you make those flowers? 

I was thinking the same thing, beautiful cake.

sixinarow Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 11:12pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you!

I used a hydrangea blossom cutter to cut all of the flowers out, then I veined them with a veining stamp and formed them by hand because I didn't want them all to look them same. After they dried, I used petal dust to color them and piped the centers with buttercream. icon_smile.gif

A double barrel (also known as an extended tier cake) is 2 or more tiers of cake that are the same size and covered to look seamless. So this cake was a 3 tiered cake but you can only see 2 different sizes. I've been wanting to do one for a while but was a little nervous about being able to cover it with a single piece of fondant -- it's a tall bugger!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%