My First Fondant Cake!

Decorating By nancylee61 Updated 2 May 2013 , 5:16pm by nancylee61

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 10

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2993468/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Yikes! The fondant wasn't the trouble, the trouble was getting the buttercream smooth. My first pass over the frosting kept pulling up crumbs, so I stuck the cake in the freezer for a few. Then, my sides weren't completely even. Back to the video before next time. The fondant was actually pretty easy to work with, although I have to be more careful cutting it around next time. I cut it a wee bit short!

I am going to do one every weekend until I do better. Thanks for all of your help with this!

9 replies
sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 10

Congratulations!! :) So happy for you - every cake is another lesson learned! icon_wink.gif

nancylee61 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 10

AThanks six! Do you have six children? Or did you make 6 cakes in a row??? Nncy

morninglorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morninglorie Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:52pm
post #4 of 10

Your cake is too cute--love the butterflies as the bottom border!  I think your fondant looks lovely and smooth :)

Buttercream smoothing is an arch-nemesis of mine, as well.  Lately I've been focusing on buttercream-only cakes just to practice; I tried the "upside down" method, and that seemed to work quite well!  I also broke down and got a bench scraper, rather than using my angled spatula--also helped.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 5:42pm
post #5 of 10

Your cake is lovely, The fondant looks smooth and in time you will master all these tricks.

I keep my cakes chilled thru the whole process.  level and fill, chill, Crumb coat, chill, etc.  Also since I returned to buttercream I started to add white chocolate to my recipe and everybody loved the taste.  Then I wanted to ganache all my cakes but didn't like the taste of ganache without the buttercream.  So I added twice as much chocolate to my buttercream and wow o wowie.  I got the taste of ganache and buttercream AND... it smooths out perfect.  HTH

iCookiBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iCookiBake Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 10

Very cute, great first cake! Like someone told me, you will appreciate looking back at this later on and seeing how you change and learn!

rere0726 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rere0726 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 6:55pm
post #7 of 10

A[CODE][/CODE] So you add chocolate to your buttercream to make it thick or what.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancylee61 

Thanks six! Do you have six children? Or did you make 6 cakes in a row???
Nncy

6 kiddos icon_smile.gif when we're out together, people comment about having our ducks in a row, so that's where six in a row came from!

stiffybeans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stiffybeans Posted 1 May 2013 , 10:07pm
post #9 of 10

AVery nice!

nancylee61 Posted 2 May 2013 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 10

AThanks for,your encouragement, friends! It is very nice of you! Nancy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%