Combining Swiss Meringue Butter Cream And Cream Cheese Frosting?

Decorating By aconner5 Updated 14 May 2016 , 5:48am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

aconner5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aconner5 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:13pm
post #1 of 8

I am planning to make a dark chocolate layer cake and I wanted to experiment with swiss meringue butter cream since I have never made it before.  I know it has a very "butter" taste, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried using cream cheese frosting between layers and the SMBC to frost the outside of the cake.  Good or bad idea? Any SMBC advice is appreciated! Thanks!

7 replies
Vista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vista Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:44pm
post #2 of 8

I just add cream cheese directly to the SMBC.  Delicious!

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 8

ADo you add the cream cheese before or after the butter and before or after it comes back together?

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:50pm
post #4 of 8

Make the SMBC as directed, I normally add a little bit of vanilla. In separate bowl, whip the cream cheese. Once it's light and fluffy add to the SMBC and blend together. This is the only way I have found to make it that does not separate. It's amazing. 

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 7:32pm
post #5 of 8

AMake the SMBC first and see what you think. It's a sweet and delicate frosting IMO. You can always add a bit more vanilla to make it sweeter.

If you do decide to fill with one and frost with another I do recommend a dam of the frosting like you would with any filling.

CasperCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CasperCakeCreations Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 8:16pm
post #6 of 8

AThank you for the clarification, I can't wait to try it!

miny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miny Posted 11 May 2013 , 3:47am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vista 

I just add cream cheese directly to the SMBC.  Delicious!

What ratio of cream cheese for SMBC do you use? I'd love to try this. TIA

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 14 May 2016 , 5:48am
post #8 of 8

I realize this post is way old, but since I came across it because I was doing a search to check on a recipe that I have, I figured I'd add this link to anyone who might check this out and still be in need of an answer.

Please check this out:  http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/711181/this-post-contains-fromscratchsfs-cream-cheese-smbc

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%