Need Help/advise For An Awning For A Strawberry Shortcake House Cake

Decorating By jiya11 Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 2:52pm by jiya11

jiya11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jiya11 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 11:14am
post #1 of 11

AI am frustrated and calling out for help..

I am inspired by Sweet Piccaso Cakes Strawberry Shortcake Cake. I am kind of stuck on the top green/white awning all around the strawberry. My daughters' big day is today and I am stuck on this architectural element.

Please, any advise would be much appreciated. I will work on the rest of the cake to release some stress and check here often to see if you have any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Here is the link: http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/sweetpicasso/6407111617/

10 replies
jiya11 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 11:20am
post #2 of 11

The  closeup of original pic from Sweet PiccasoIMAG4157.jpg

Mines, so far..

IMAG4158.jpg

Was thinking of trying this and cover with gumpaste stripes: Doesnt seem to .. the corners wont align

IMAG4162.jpg

IMAG4160.jpg

jiya11 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 11

ABump.. Need help on this cake..

JayJay23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JayJay23 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:36pm
post #4 of 11

I want to help but I can't see any of the photos and nothing comes up when I open the link

jiya11 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:48pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayJay23 

I want to help but I can't see any of the photos and nothing comes up when I open the link

Is anyone else able to see the pics? I am seeing it..

jiya11 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 3:11pm
post #6 of 11

Baking Sis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baking Sis Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 11

No, I can't see the photos either!  Although I did look it up on a facebook page; the topper is styrofoam covered with fondant.  Not sure how the awning is done, but assume there is something poked into the styrofoam as a base to hold the fondant awning.  Good luck!

Just after I posted, the photos came up!! lol

JayJay23 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 11

Is the pink cake on the bottom a square? And how big is it?

JayJay23 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 4:33pm
post #9 of 11

I have never done this before but if I was going to this is how I would do it:

- measure the four top edges of the cake that the awning is going to go ontop of

- draw a square on a large piece of cardboard using the side lengths that you measured from the cake plus about two inches on each side

- mark the mid point of each side

- draw a perpindicular line from the mid point of each side making them all the same height and all a few inches taller than you want the awning

- draw a line connecting the top of each perpindicular line to the two corners of that side

- you should end up with a square or rectangle in the middle with four triangles around it

- cut the whole thing out just along the outter lines

- then cut out the middle square or rectangle making sure to leave the bottom corners of the triangles still attached

- you can then fold up all the triangles so that they come to a point and tape them along the sides so that they stay

- then you can cut of the point making it curve like the one in the picture does (you will probably need to put it around the cake and then mark where you want to cut so that it lines up nicely when you put it on)

- then decorate it with green and white stripes and place it on the cake

Hopefully I explained what I was thinking well enough that you can at least kind of understand what I'm talking about.

jiya11 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 2:30pm
post #10 of 11

Here is the cake that I came up with.

jiya11 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 2:51pm
post #11 of 11

Yes Thankyou JayJay23 ... it makes sense.. Hopefully for next time..Really appreciate your explaining it..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%