Limited Ingredients And In Need Of A Recipe!

Baking By bananapancakes Updated 28 Apr 2013 , 7:03pm by BakingIrene

bananapancakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananapancakes Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 12:21am
post #1 of 3

Hello!

I'm new to this site, so I'm very sorry in advance if I'm not using this forum properly!

I need to make cupcakes tomorrow night. I typically just use the box mix, but I would like to try something new. These past few days I've been researching doctored cake mix recipes and so many of the recipes sound yummy (especially the WASC)! My only problem is that I'm in the middle of nowhere and thus will be working with a limited set of ingredients (no sour cream, no flour, no sugar, etc...) 

These are the ingredients I WILL have access to -----

Betty Crocker Yellow Cake Mix

Butter (and oil)

Several Eggs

Vanilla extract

Almond extract

Vanilla Instant Pudding

1% Milk

Does anyone have any delicious recipes that use a combination of these ingredients? I would be forever grateful.

Cheers!

2 replies
KathleenC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathleenC Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 12:38am
post #2 of 3

If you have no other flavourings (like fruit or lemon juice, etc.) what you could do is make the cupcakes as per the box instructions.  Then, mix up the vanilla instant pudding with 1 or 1 1/2 cups of the milk (less than what the package asks for, so it's thicker).  Let it sit for awhile to firm up.  Then, if you have tip 230 (which is that long, skinny tip which has a special name that escapes me right now), then put the pudding in an icing bag and fill each cupcake with the vanilla pudding.

Or, if you don't have that tip, just carefully cut out a deep crater in the middle of each cupcake, fill the crater with the filling, then put the top of the cupcake back on.

You could try adding the almond flavouring to the yellow cake mix, but I'm not sure how it would taste.  It would probably be ok.  :-)

Just my thoughts.  :-)  I'm sure someone else will come up with a better idea.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 7:03pm
post #3 of 3

Make the box mix with milk not water, add 1 more egg, and add 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1/4 teaspoon almond extracts. That will make it taste almost like real cake right off the bat.

Make your vanilla filling as the other post said but add 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. 

If you have some jam in the house,  a little of that can be added to each cupcake before you add the cream filling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%