Soccer Ball Cake

Decorating By christiancaker Updated 8 Oct 2011 , 12:45am by diamonds-and-rust

christiancaker Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 6

How do I keep the Wilton - icon_eek.gif two semi circle sports ball cake pans from falling apart? How do i transport a "soccerball" cake without it rolling off? How many servings are in those cakes?

5 replies
frogfiend Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 6

I made a soccer ball cake not too long ago. I cut the bottom of one round slightly so that it sat flat on the board. I did not dowel my cake just put buttercream between the two and they held up just fine. The cake traveled a total of 50 miles with out harm. The servings I am not sure of, the people who ordered said they got alot out of it, but I would think it would depend on how they cut it.

Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Sep 2005 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 6

It won't roll away if you glue it down to the board with icing really good!! The previous suggestion to slightly cut the bottom off so it sits flat is a great idea also!

diamonds-and-rust Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:48pm
post #4 of 6

I stacked my baseball on top of 2 10" rounds. I torted the ball plus the rounds. placed baseball on cake plate, dowled the rounds with bubble tea straws. "glued baseball to rounds with bc. chilled thoroughly and it was transported abt 30mi without incident.

ps....know I screwed up with no dowl through the middle, but ran out and had to make due. but alls well that ends well.....

GarciaGM Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:52pm
post #5 of 6

I just used the Wilton sports ball pan for the first time last week. I feel strongly compelled to reiterate the advice to use a "sturdy" cake recipe. I used the Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake recipe and it sagged on me pretty bad. I'm sure no one else noticed, but I could see how it lost its roundness by the time all was said and done. Maybe some of the other bakers here can recommend a good cake recipe for this purpose if you don't already have one. HTH!

diamonds-and-rust Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 12:45am
post #6 of 6

icon_smile.gif Garcia, I just used the chocolate WASC recipe and it turned out wonderful. Baked at 325 and I think if I remember correctly took almost an hour. Teeny dip in the center but nothing anyone noticed.

Oh, and on my previous post I forgot to add that if stacking the sports ball pan I think its a good idea to lower its center of gravity by slicing a small slice off the bottom of the ball. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%