When A Customer Gives You A Tip

Business By Ann-Jannae Updated 28 Jun 2013 , 8:26pm by jgifford

Ann-Jannae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ann-Jannae Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:18pm
post #1 of 21

Maybe I worry to much but I always feel funny about a customer tipping me when I deliver a cake. Obviously they liked the design but What if they don't like the way it taste.(what if this time, I over cooked it, etc.) I always feel sick to my stomach (tips make it worse) until I receive the email that says the cake was great. Not sure what I will do, if they say, that cake was not very good. I try to give the tip back.
Anyone else worry? How do you deal with it?

20 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:54pm
post #2 of 21

If you make cakes and sell them, they should be good!  People on this forum say they get complaints, e.t.c about the taste/flavor of the cake, but please, the customers are cheap and want their money back....

I say take the tip, and don't feel guilty!!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:13pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann-Jannae 

How do you deal with it?

I go spend the money on chocolate and Dr. Pepper.

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 21

I charge enough that no one tries to tip me.  Do you tip an artist when you buy buy a painting or a jeweler when you buy a piece of jewelry?  Of course not-- so on the art side of the question, no tipping.  Do you tip at the grocery store?   I don't think so.  So no tip on the food side either.   Charge enough so they don't feel sorry for you and feel you need a tip.   Tipping is for underpaid service personnel--at least in my not so humble opinion. 

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:43pm
post #5 of 21

AI take the tip as a gesture of appreciation from the client. I'm confident that my cake tastes as good as it looks, so I'm not worried about that. Some people feel like they have to tip every service person they meet. I think I have been tipped on almost every delivery I've made. Pick ups, not so much.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:19pm
post #6 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsacake 

I charge enough that no one tries to tip me.  Do you tip an artist when you buy buy a painting or a jeweler when you buy a piece of jewelry?  Of course not-- so on the art side of the question, no tipping.  Do you tip at the grocery store?   I don't think so.  So no tip on the food side either.   Charge enough so they don't feel sorry for you and feel you need a tip.   Tipping is for underpaid service personnel--at least in my not so humble opinion. 

I get tipped quite often, mainly for weddings, and it certainly had nothing to do with me under charging, lol.

A lot of bridal magazines/sites tell you  that you should tip caterer, dj, planner, etc, so I think a lot of brides just assume it's proper etiquette.

denetteb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denetteb Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:52pm
post #7 of 21

Be gracious and say thank you.  If you feel you must, politely say it is not necessary and then when they insist, accept and say thank you. 

itsacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsacake Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 6:14pm
post #8 of 21

Interesting, Scrumdiddlycakes.  I am usually paid for weddings three weeks before the date.  When I deliver  I see  someone from the venue and  usually  the caterer but except in rare cases I don't see see anyone from the bridal party.  When do they have an opportunity to give you a tip?   All those other folks are there at the end of the party.   I'm curious about  what percentage people tip for cake?   Do they just casually hand over an extra $100.00 - $200.00 for a 10 - 20 percent tip?  I wouldn't mind  an extra 20 percent on a $1500.00 cake, I guess, but I don't see it happening.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 6:19pm
post #9 of 21

AMost of the tips we get are when we deliver party cakes, the tips are usually in the 10-20% range (in addition to our $1/minute delivery charge).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 21

AThe rule that brides are told is that you don't need to tip the actual owner of the business,but if it's a delivery person etc you can. Some people just tip everybody, it's nice but not necessary.

Conniem529 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Conniem529 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 4:49am
post #11 of 21

AI haven't received a tip ( monetary or otherwise).. But, if one were given I would it and say thanks. Think about it.. You would tip a delivery boy/girl for delivering groceries, a pizza, etc. it should be alright to accept a gratuity for delivering your cake

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:01am
post #12 of 21

All of the "tips" I have gotten are people rounding up. I have an at home cake business. I charged someone 47 for a cake I did and she gave me 50. I offered her the change and she said to keep it. I always just accept it. I feel like it makes it awkward if I try to offer it back. 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:10am
post #13 of 21

A

Original message sent by costumeczar

The rule that brides are told is that you don't need to tip the actual owner of the business,but if it's a delivery person etc you can.

It's funny that no one expects the delivery person to also be the business owner. I've gotten emails and calls from customers complimenting the delivery guy on how much time he spent making sure the cake was as expected, explaining the ingredients and allergens in the cake, directions for refrigerating and freezing, etc.

I never did find a way to tell these customers that I was also the delivery guy without sounding awkward, instead I would just say that I'd pass on the compliment. :D

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:37am
post #14 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by bct806 

All of the "tips" I have gotten are people rounding up. I have an at home cake business. I charged someone 47 for a cake I did and she gave me 50. I offered her the change and she said to keep it. I always just accept it. I feel like it makes it awkward if I try to offer it back

This is what happens to me. 

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 7:06am
post #15 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

It's funny that no one expects the delivery person to also be the business owner. I've gotten emails and calls from customers complimenting the delivery guy on how much time he spent making sure the cake was as expected, explaining the ingredients and allergens in the cake, directions for refrigerating and freezing, etc.

I never did find a way to tell these customers that I was also the delivery guy without sounding awkward, instead I would just say that I'd pass on the compliment.
icon_biggrin.gif

'Yes, he is pretty great!'

PieceofCakeAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PieceofCakeAZ Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 9:00am
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I never did find a way to tell these customers that I was also the delivery guy without sounding awkward, instead I would just say that I'd pass on the compliment.
icon_biggrin.gif

I always reply "and he's a handsome SOB too"icon_wink.gif

TheSugarLab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheSugarLab Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 1:12am
post #17 of 21

I've been tipped a few times. My first bride told me there was an envelope at the front desk of the hotel. She is a wedding planner so I figured it was common. It was about 10% if I remember correctly. I've been tipped for one other wedding. Usually when people tip me, it's from rounding up with a cash purchase. We use square for our credit card transactions and I've disabled the tipping option; it just makes me feel uncomfortable and like I'm asking for a tip. 

I figured once we open our retail space, I would use an tips given to give my staff a fantastic party. My friend worked at a Starbucks on a college campus and they weren't technically allowed to accept tips. People would still insist so they would put the tips away and have a bonding party once they had enough reserved. 

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 30 Apr 2013 , 3:37am
post #18 of 21

A

Original message sent by PieceofCakeAZ

[QUOTE name="jason_kraft" url="/t/757593/when-a-customer-gives-you-a-tip#post_7387955"] It's funny that no one expects the delivery person to also be the business owner. I've gotten emails and calls from customers complimenting the delivery guy on how much time he spent making sure the cake was as expected, explaining the ingredients and allergens in the cake, directions for refrigerating and freezing, etc.

I never did find a way to tell these customers that I was also the delivery guy without sounding awkward, instead I would just say that I'd pass on the compliment. :D [/QUOTE] I always reply "and he's a handsome SOB too"icon_wink.gif

haha! I seriously snorted, wondering what the customer would say to that :-)

argrjo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
argrjo Posted 27 Jun 2013 , 11:05pm
post #19 of 21

I think tips are way of saying that they like your work,  so take it !

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 6:01pm
post #20 of 21

I used to accept them when I was starving in the beginning, but i always felt a little sheepish about it.  But now, as the owner, I don't accept them if it's as a tip for the delivery person. I will accept a tip where it's an event where it's considered good luck for them to tip. Don't want to mess with their good luck.

If they are tipping because they are so delighted by the cake, I will accept as the person who made the cake so wonderful.

If I hire a driver, that person may accept a tip.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Jun 2013 , 8:26pm
post #21 of 21

A tip is "extra, not expected" payment for a job well done.  We all put in more thought, research and time than most people realize - - when customers get more than they expect and want to tip you for it, then just accept it, say "Thank you" and go on.  Consider it as the customer acknowledging that you went above and beyond for them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%