catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 2:40am
post #1 of

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, show off photos of what they have made, ask any questions they may have or answer any questions they can.

 

Hope to see lots of photos tonight!

 

Cat

32 replies
catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 2:51am
post #2 of

Hi everyone!

 

I'm back from a week away at a destination wedding. I'm currently working on a small Princess cake for Icing Smiles. If you have not heard of this organization before it's a group that organizes free cakes for kids undergoing treatment for or recovering from cancer. The one I am making a cake for is a 5 year old little girl who is celebrating her going home day..she is in remission now and gets to go home, finally, on Monday. She loves Princesses and she loves Pink so I'm working on a 6 and 4 for her small party on Monday.

 

My son also turns 12 on Sunday so I'm making a Minecraft cake. I will finish one cake tonight and the other tomorrow and will try to make it back on here with photos. 

 

I am heading out on vacation for two weeks with my Mom to Sicily on the 1st. I am hopeful, since they have WiFi at all of the hotels to be able to get back on here the next two Fridays but the time difference is 9 hours so my normal 7:45pm would be about 4:45am in Italy. So would it be better to start it 5 hours earlier PST (so about 2:45pm) or 3 hours later (so about 11:45 pm) ???? For me it would be 10:45 pm or 7:45 am. OR can someone take it over for the next two weeks??? OR I can just drop it for two weeks and catch up when I get back? Please do weigh in on what you think would be the best thing to do?

 

Thanx!

Cat

Norasmom Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 2:57am
post #3 of

Just finished another Ariel cake, but this one had an Ariel doll I purchased on Amazon on top, instead of being a bc transfer

.  You are so noble to make a cake for Icing Smiles.  Within the next year my goal is to have a fundraiser for them.  Making cakes for sick children is happy/sad. 

Have a fabulous time in Sicily.  I am so jealous!   If you can't find someone to cover, I would say take the time off from Friday night cake club.

Elcee Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:08am
post #4 of

I can't wait to see your cakes, Cat! When I did an Icing Smiles cake it was a Spiderman cake. Not my usual aesthetic at all LOL!

 

I'm not caking at all this weekend. I'm kind of frustrated...I did a bridal show a couple of weeks ago and booked 5 consults from it. I was so excited. Then the first one cancelled (the night before). The 2nd didn't show up, no call, no text, no email, no response to my email, text or call, she left me sitting at Panera with all my cake stuff. The 3rd also cancelled but at least with a few days notice. Number 4 has yet to resond to my confirmation email so I'm pretty unsure of her but I'll keep high hopes for #5 next weekend!

 

On the plus side, I did spring cleaning in my cake room and it's sparkling and organized for what's next.

 

Cat, even though I don't participate every week I'll be happy to take over the club for you while you're on vacation if you want.

Cakemommy2012 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:11am
post #5 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

Hi everyone!

 

I'm back from a week away at a destination wedding. I'm currently working on a small Princess cake for Icing Smiles. If you have not heard of this organization before it's a group that organizes free cakes for kids undergoing treatment for or recovering from cancer. The one I am making a cake for is a 5 year old little girl who is celebrating her going home day..she is in remission now and gets to go home, finally, on Monday. She loves Princesses and she loves Pink so I'm working on a 6 and 4 for her small party on Monday.

 

My son also turns 12 on Sunday so I'm making a Minecraft cake. I will finish one cake tonight and the other tomorrow and will try to make it back on here with photos. 

 

I am heading out on vacation for two weeks with my Mom to Sicily on the 1st. I am hopeful, since they have WiFi at all of the hotels to be able to get back on here the next two Fridays but the time difference is 9 hours so my normal 7:45pm would be about 4:45am in Italy. So would it be better to start it 5 hours earlier PST (so about 2:45pm) or 3 hours later (so about 11:45 pm) ???? For me it would be 10:45 pm or 7:45 am. OR can someone take it over for the next two weeks??? OR I can just drop it for two weeks and catch up when I get back? Please do weigh in on what you think would be the best thing to do?

 

Thanx!

Cat


IcingSmiles sounds like an amazing organization!  That is a great thing that you are doing! 

 

I just finished a Minecraft cake last month--had over 6,000 tiny little squares!!! Good luck on yours! =-)

Bottom layer is Chocolate Almond Cake with dark chocolate ganache, top layer Strawberry Swirl with strawberry buttercream.  All figures made out of fondant.  # 10 half fondant half tylose powder.

 

 

I would be happy to start the club while you are away.....I'm usually on here anyway posting at this time.  =-)

 

I just finished a small over the hill cake for a dear friend.  She is a chocoholic so I made the Hershey's chocolate cake, added in Chocolate chips.  Torted and iced with Ghirdelli Chocolate Ganache!  YUM!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:12am
post #6 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

 

On the plus side, I did spring cleaning in my cake room and it's sparkling and organized for what's next.

 

Are you available for hire???  HAHAHA

catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:19am
post #7 of

Wow...you guys are great! Elcee, please do take over and Cake Mommy, act as back up? I hate the idea of the forum not being up at all and love the idea that you two will take over for me!

 

Cake Mommy...wow! The Minecraft cake I'm doing is NOTHING near what you did! Wow! Seriously! 6000 tiles? EEK! I'm doing a small "terraced" type cake so it won't be nearly that many squares. Thank goodness! I know it WILL take me all day long to do but at least it's not 6000 tiles! LOL! Wonderful work on both of those cakes!

 

Cat

Cakemommy2012 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:22am
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

Wow...you guys are great! Elcee, please do take over and Cake Mommy, act as back up? I hate the idea of the forum not being up at all and love the idea that you two will take over for me!

 

Cake Mommy...wow! The Minecraft cake I'm doing is NOTHING near what you did! Wow! Seriously! 6000 tiles? EEK! I'm doing a small "terraced" type cake so it won't be nearly that many squares. Thank goodness! I know it WILL take me all day long to do but at least it's not 6000 tiles! LOL! Wonderful work on both of those cakes!

 

Cat

When I first decided on it I didn't realize how many tiles it would take.  It wasn't that hard just VERY time consuming! 

Elcee Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:32am
post #9 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

Wow...you guys are great! Elcee, please do take over and Cake Mommy, act as back up? I hate the idea of the forum not being up at all and love the idea that you two will take over for me!

 

OK, done deal! 7:45 your time? That's 8:45 my time. I'll be here.

 

Cakemommy2012, my cake room organization rates are much higher priced than my cakes icon_lol.gif. Love your minecraft cake and the chocolate one looks delicious!

catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:42am

Yup...8:45 your time. Much easier to do than the time in Rome! LOL! 

 

And I would pay well for your organization time. I have the skills just not the time to utilize them. I tell people about my days and they tell me that they are tired just hearing about it<G>. My time in Italy is, technically, a vacation but we tend to go go go on vacation and it's my time to fall back to being a photographer so we run ourselves ragged. The first time we went I actually, stupidly, scheduled a cake for the week I got home. Fortunately I learned by my mistake and the week after we get back I'll have nothing much to do than my normal house stuff and to edit the photographs. Yup, need a vacation from my vacation! LOL! 

 

But then summer kicks off the week after and I'm booked all summer long after booking my last week this morning. So I will highly enjoy my vacation and the week after!

 

I'm finished with the Princess Cake now but it's too dark to photograph it. I'll do that tomorrow. I think it turned out very cute! 

 

Cat

Cakemommy2012 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:42am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

OK, done deal! 7:45 your time? That's 8:45 my time. I'll be here.

 

Cakemommy2012, my cake room organization rates are much higher priced than my cakes icon_lol.gif. Love your minecraft cake and the chocolate one looks delicious!

Thanks Elcee!  =-) 

 

There are times I would pay ANYTHING to have my cake stuff cleaned and organized!  LOL icon_wink.gif  The LAST thing I want to do after baking, frosting, decorating, and assembling a cake is put everything back where it belongs and clean up!

Cakemommy2012 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:44am
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper 

Yup...8:45 your time. Much easier to do than the time in Rome! LOL! 

 

And I would pay well for your organization time. I have the skills just not the time to utilize them. I tell people about my days and they tell me that they are tired just hearing about it<G>. My time in Italy is, technically, a vacation but we tend to go go go on vacation and it's my time to fall back to being a photographer so we run ourselves ragged. The first time we went I actually, stupidly, scheduled a cake for the week I got home. Fortunately I learned by my mistake and the week after we get back I'll have nothing much to do than my normal house stuff and to edit the photographs. Yup, need a vacation from my vacation! LOL! 

 

But then summer kicks off the week after and I'm booked all summer long after booking my last week this morning. So I will highly enjoy my vacation and the week after!

 

I'm finished with the Princess Cake now but it's too dark to photograph it. I'll do that tomorrow. I think it turned out very cute! 

 

Cat


Hope you have a WONDERFUL time!  Sounds like so much fun!  I would love to go to Rome atleast once in my lifetime.  Can't wait to see the princess cake!  =-)

tdovewings Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:57am

I'm so excited about your icing smiles cake! I can't wait to get a call. I signed-up in December, so we will see.

 

I delivered a surprise Abbey Road cake earlier today. I'll post pictures after the party (saturday night), just in case someone happens to be lurking on the internet and I ruin the surprise.

 

Tonight I'm preparing for Lambeth mini boot camp classes with Kathleen Lange. Although most of my customers don't do eggs, I think the class will help me out alot with piping. I'm covering a cake dummy with a bottom bevel in fondant, and making lots of royal icing.  I procrastinated on getting my supplies and I went to the cake store and they were out of some of the things I needed of course. I'm kind of nervous about showing up to class without all the supplies. 

 

Have a wonderful trip, Cat! 

auntginn Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 3:59am

Good evening all,

 

Cat do you have room in your luggage to take me on that vacation, lol, I need one just about now.  Can't wait to see the cake.  Icing Smiles is a great organization.  

 

Cakemommy, love your cakes.  Don't envy all the work with the square tho. 

 

Working on a decent size order for an avengers birthday party for tomorrow, 4-8" cakes, 3dz, cupcakes, 3dz cake balls.  Had a cake during the week, another birthday cake.  This one was a teddy bear wearing a tutu, standing on top of a tree stump.  I really need to work on my facial skills.  My niece said the eyes looked scary and a couple of people on here agreed with her.  Oh well, the little girl was happy.

cazza1 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:05am

Hope you have a great holiday.  I didn't post last Friday as it is Saturday here and I was at a workshop.  We made giraffes (mine looks like a stoned baby dragon) and fairies that have hair sticking out sideways, sort of like a viking fairy to imagine. I'll try and down load photos for next week.  It was a lot of fun.

This week I am doing the 'Happy as a pig in s...' cake.  Spa, that's the word I was looking for.  I have made a very dense chocolate cake and have filled it with chocolate mousse and am waiting for it to set.  It tastes wonderful.  The fourth layer made it too high for the kitkats so I piled mousse on it and had some.  YUM.  When my full cake sets a bit I will put some ganache on it.  I am having friends for brekkie in the morning so that it the fourth and final course.  They will probably end up having to take it home with them as I usually make far too much food.

catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:12am

tdoveswings: I'm always careful about posting stuff early. I have never had it backfire on me but I always think it will so I wait till after the event to put anything up just in case. All the royal used for Lambeth makes my hands hurt just thinking about it! I'm sure you will learn TONS about piping tho and I do envy you that....but not the sore hands<G>.

 

Ginn...unfortunately my clothes are rather piggy with the space in my luggage and no one in Italy needs to see me naked so I sorta need the clothing...LOL. I do totally understand about the need for the vacation. By the time we leave I will desperately need it too. I'm dying to see your Avengers stuff! I'm going to do one for my hubby for his 50th and would love to get some ideas!

 

Cazza...you crack me up. I seriously laughed a few times reading your post. "Stoned baby dragon"...LOL.  And I would love to see your fairies! Mmmmm mousse...ganache...Yummy! That sounds seriously good!

 

Cat

Brettley Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:41am

Evening all!

 

Cakemommy: I did a Mine Craft a few weeks ago and it wasn't even half the size of yours! Talk about time consuming!

 

Cat: I did my first Icing Smiles cake last weekend. What a wonderful experience that was. I would do it again in a second flat!!! I brought a smile and a good memory to that family nothing feels better than pure gratitude!! The 2 tier cake was for the littlegirl with Ohtahara's. She was only supposed to live until 2 and she was celebrating her 6th birthday!!!! The smaller butterfly cake was for her sister, as they share a birthday. Anyway, here are the photos. I highly recommend signing up for the program, it was wonderful!

*

 

*

 

Anyway, this weekend I have a 2 Tier Minnie Mouse cake, a My  Little Pony, a few cupcake orders and a Basketball Shoe! Ugh Everything else is ready to go... except this darn shoe. And not just any shoe, a South Beach Lebron James 9 shoe. haha It isn't due until late tomorrow so it is sitting in the fridge, carved, frosted and ready for fondant... I just have to figure out how to assemble the darn thing. Not sure where to start yet... haha.

catlharper Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:59am

Awww...I love the cakes...the one for the little girl and her sister. It is a wonderful program. I will be taking my 12 year old son with me for the delivery so he can see how good it feels to give without strings. 

 

Cat

auntginn Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:15am

Cazza, rofl... now I don't feel so bad with my charactors.  Will you make me one of those piggy cakes?  please..... I am so into pigs and would have to make my own to get one.

auntginn Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:18am

Brettley, beautiful cakes.

 

Cat, I will share but unfortunately it will not be anything exciting. The mother found some pic off google images and sent them to me to follow.  So she's getting what she asked for.  I couldn't persuade her to let me do anything fun. :(

Chellescakes Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 7:33am

Not much going on here this week , just workshops and teaching . No cakes . I do have a busy couple of weeks coming up with two wedding cakes and a first birthday cake. 

 

I hope you have a lovely time away Cat , I am most envious as I know it will be a few years before I can have another overseas holiday. 

 

Happy Caking everyone, 

Chelle 

Chellescakes Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 7:40am

Brettley those are just lovely cakes , I wish we had something like icing smiles here. Our club does Christmas cakes for all the emergency services branches here on the Gold Coast . We also do cakes for various other charities to raffle , but I really like the idea of doing a dream cake for a sick child. 

Ducky316 Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 9:06am

Hi all! Here's my friday night project. Nothing real special about it except for the Broncos logo! Made it out of fondant and hand painted it.

 

 

 

Brettley Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 11:08am

Ducky: The logo looks GREAT, wonderful job. I am SOOO looking forward to football season again. Ugh a couple more months.

 

Chellescakes: I am in Canada and Icing Smiles just came here. I was the 2nd one delivered in Canada too I think. It is wonderful, and should be everywhere. Can I ask: What sort of things do you teach? The Culinary arts school where I am from has approached me and would like me to teach a section of their course:) And have a few workshops as well. 3-6 hours on something specific... I am A: blown away that they would even ask me as I still feel like an amateur, and B: I have NO clue what to teach or what people want to know....

 

Cat: Have a FANTASTIC time on your vacay and look forwarding to hearing about it in a few weeks:)

auntginn Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 7:00pm

Nice job Ducky

Ducky316 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 3:37am

Thank you Brettley and auntginn!!! It's not what I envisioned but my butter cream wouldn't cooperate so texture, texture, texture! LMAO!!!

ashleabrowncake Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:37am

AI had only one cake this weekend, for today (Sunday in Australia) it was my first topsy turvy for my sons first birthday. I was not completely happy with it, but everyone else loved it so I guess it was passable to cake muggles ;)[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2993118/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Cakemommy2012 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 4:00pm

A

Original message sent by ashleabrowncake

I had only one cake this weekend, for today (Sunday in Australia) it was my first topsy turvy for my sons first birthday. I was not completely happy with it, but everyone else loved it so I guess it was passable to cake muggles ;)[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/2993118/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

That is amazing! I tried a topsy turvy once and it was a disaster! Kudos for pulling it off!

Ducky316 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 4:48pm

ABeautiful cake cakemommy!!!

auntginn Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 6:04pm

ashlleabrowncake, its a very nice cake.  Mine didn't turn out that well either.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%