Newbie With Lots Of Questions

Decorating By Leoak Updated 27 Apr 2013 , 4:12pm by costumeczar

Leoak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Leoak Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 2:20am
post #1 of 2

I've always wanted to learn to decorate cakes since I was a kid.  I just loved how cool the bakery-made birthday cakes looked and always want to try making one.  My first attempt at edible art was with a gingerbread house this past Christmas and it didn't come out like I'd hoped (colors bled, walls uneven, runny icing, etc), but I'm making the attempt again for Mother's Day.  I want to do a clay pot cake with Pansies and a little frog figuring (she has a frog garden ornament).  I've found some pictures online of these pot cakes and one in particular interested me.  In the picture below, the pot has a textured look similar to a real clay pot around the rim and towards the bottom.  Any idea how to create that textured look?

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 80

Second, for the Pansies, I've looked at the Wilton Cake Decorating Course 2 book for instructions.  I get the basic idea of how to make the petals, but I'm not sure about adding the black markings on the Pansy.  It says to use icing color to paint the flowers, but what I currently have is black food coloring.  Would it work or do I need a gel-type black coloring?

Lastly, my final question is about fondant.  I'm thinking of using fondant on this cake depending on the difficulty and whether or not the texturing can be done.  The recipe I found on http://thecookduke.com/fondant-recipe/ says to use glycerin, but I've read that glucose or corn syrup would work, however, the recipe already calls for 1/2 cup of corn syrup.  Would I have to use glycerin/glucose for this recipe or is there another one where corn syrup works as a good substitute?  Also, is the rolled marshmallow fondant softer than the standard recipe and would it work for this type of cake?

Thank you for any help anyone can provide!  

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 4:12pm
post #2 of 2

that texture is called "buttercream that isn't smoothed out."

Glycerine and glucose/corn syrup aren't the same thing. The fondant that I make has both in it, you don't substitute one for the other. I don't use marshmallow fondant so I don't know about the texture of that, but I don't see why you wouldnt be able to use it. If you knead extra confectioner's sugar into it it should stiffen up if it's too soft.

But I'd just stick with buttercream for the pots, it's easier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%