Logo Design Critique Please!!

Business By HannahsMomi Updated 10 May 2013 , 2:45am by JenniSize

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:50am
post #31 of 47

AMe too. I like the lower left.

Original message sent by kazita

I like the lower left better, I like that font better.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:51am
post #32 of 47

These are much better!                                                      Nit-picking.....  I need a little more symmetry through-out it. 'Bloom' needs to be a little more level with 'Cakes'. And the cake drawing needs a little more centering/balancing. I like how the flowers over lap the border on the right image better then the left image. Also like the white cake on the left better....makes me think wedding.....the blue cake makes me think party cakes.         But this is much better then the first draft.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:22am
post #33 of 47

Yes, I like these as well.  I prefer the top ones, as the font in the lower two bothers me where the "s" doesn't close all the way, and I can't tell it is the word "cakes" at first glance.

Liz

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:56am
post #34 of 47

AThat is so much better! Really major improvement. The flowers on the cake are so cute. I prefer the top font. The words really pop more. the name get lost in the logo with a more scripty looking font. I also prefer the white cake with the blue background.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 5 May 2013 , 7:21am
post #35 of 47

Well, I'm going against the crowd and saying that although the first logo needed work, I preferred it as a starting point. icon_redface.gif  It was a lot more elegant.

But with all these things, it's personal preference and no right or wrong.

Is it just too early in the morning for me, icon_wink.gifor does the cake in the new logos need to be rotated fractionally to the left?  Maybe I need to wake up a bit more, LOL!!

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 5 May 2013 , 1:34pm
post #36 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by HannahsMomi 

OK, everyone.  I have a new updated logo.  It's still a rough draft, but I am so much happier with it.  Colors still need adjusting and a couple other things, but we are almost there.  There are 2 because I'm still trying to decide which colors should go where.  Input would be appreciated!  Thanks again for all of the advice.  I owe a special thanks to one person in particular, she is almost totally responsible for the new design...erin2345!  Live saver!  OK, maybe I'm being a little over dramatic...icon_smile.gif

Glad I could be of help!  The new drafts look GREAT!  I cant decide if I like the blue cake or the white cake better - sorry if that is not much help!

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 5 May 2013 , 2:00pm
post #37 of 47

Thanks so much for all of the comments and advice!  I know exactly where to come when I am having problems with a cake/bakery related issue!  icon_smile.gif  I know I will always get great and honest input, which is one of the reasons I love this place so much.  I'm feeling so much better about my logo now, it feels a lot more "me".  At least now I feel comfortable moving forward with it.  I just have a few minor changes I want to make to it.  Thanks again! 

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 5 May 2013 , 3:02pm
post #38 of 47

AThe bottom left, I love that font. I think you have the right idea too as far as making The logo more fun and playful. I too make more than just cakes but I haven't quite come up with a logo yet myself although my friend has messed around with some for me. Now if I could just get her to email them to me so I can put it up for critique as well. I'm in limbo right now because I need the logo in order to set up a FB page and so I can order business cards.

A little off subject but in relation to needing a logo....Have any of y'all used and had success with car magnets to help advertise? Thoughts on that?

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 5 May 2013 , 7:48pm
post #39 of 47

Jason had it right. The ribbon needs work and i wasnt fond of the colors chosen.

HannahsMomi Posted 5 May 2013 , 8:46pm
post #40 of 47

TheLoveOfSugar...that's a great question!  I was wondering about putting my bakery name on my vehicle or not.  I wasn't planning on it and I hadn't really thought about it until an insurance broker asked me while I was pricing out commercial auto insurance...

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:10am
post #41 of 47

A

Original message sent by HannahsMomi

TheLoveOfSugar...that's a great question!  I was wondering about putting my bakery name on my vehicle or not.  I wasn't planning on it and I hadn't really thought about it until an insurance broker asked me while I was pricing out commercial auto insurance...

Oh, does it make a difference in price? Or were they more or less suggesting it. I had a lady tell me once that her business increased 30% almost immediately...but it was tile. Same principal though. My ultimate goal in life is to have a food truck - not a store front. Just the truck! So the sooner I get my name out there and get business going the sooner I'll have my truck! I even have my eye on a truck that needs a lot of love but will get the job done. I'm also contemplating doing the local farmers market, I read a couple threads about other people experimenting with them. How many cakes do you average a month? Me, 1-3. Hoping that I can increase that now that I'm done in school for the summer.

BakerBee7468 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBee7468 Posted 6 May 2013 , 12:52pm
post #42 of 47

A

Original message sent by TheLoveOfSugar

Oh, does it make a difference in price? Or were they more or less suggesting it. I had a lady tell me once that her business increased 30% almost immediately...but it was tile. Same principal though. My ultimate goal in life is to have a food truck - not a store front. Just the truck! So the sooner I get my name out there and get business going the sooner I'll have my truck! I even have my eye on a truck that needs a lot of love but will get the job done. I'm also contemplating doing the local farmers market, I read a couple threads about other people experimenting with them. How many cakes do you average a month? Me, 1-3. Hoping that I can increase that now that I'm done in school for the summer.

I was also thinking about farmers markets as well. At this point my goal isn't to have a storefront either but a food truck did cross my mind. Be sure to let me know how that works out

HannahsMomi Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:23pm
post #43 of 47

According to the insurance broker, if you label your vehicle, the auto insurance will be a little more money.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 6 May 2013 , 2:30pm
post #44 of 47

You have to take a step back and look at it.  Where does your eye go first?  For me, it's the 10 point brown outline, followed by the flower in the center.  The outline should really be reduced.  I feel like it's too heavy and it detracts from the rest of the logo.  The name of the business needs to be prominent without being obnoxious.  For logos, I am a firm believer that less is more.  Your eye shouldn't have to search to find the business name. 

I would go with the top left, lighten the blue and green colors a bit, and scale way back on the outline.  I would also move the left part of the banner above the outline if you decide to keep it.  The flower could be reduced a few points.  For me it's kind of a distraction when I am trying to read the business name.

Another thing, I don't personally care for either font.  They look kind of DIY Microsoft Word-ish.  I like your idea of fun and trendy, but I think there are other fonts if you check them out. You can download font packages that are different as well.  I would stick with a script similar to the Segoe, as it flows more with the design.  With your design I wouldn't do block or print lettering. 

Don't think I'm nit-picking.  I do a lot of printed media and sometimes I have to print the same thing 10 times before it looks right.  You are getting there!

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 8 May 2013 , 3:48pm
post #45 of 47

If you're looking for honest feedback, the banner and lines are terrible. Some are straight, some are curvy, and it just makes the logo look messy. I do like the color scheme much better than the first one, but your designer really needs to clean up their lines. If they went to grad school for graphic design, this should be a much cleaner logo. If you were going for fun or whimsical, I might understand, but unfortunately it comes off as messy instead of whimsical. It says children's drawing to me.

The fonts also don't fit in the banner correctly and are very standard Microsoft Word fonts.The blue oval is sticking out from under the brown circle as well. Not sure if that's a mistake or on purpose.

I love the name and how it relates to where you live, so I'm being harsh because you should have a killer logo to go with it!

HannahsMomi Posted 8 May 2013 , 11:02pm
post #46 of 47

Thanks, everyone, for the critiques.  As I mentioned before, the last logo drafts I posted aren't the final design.  They still need work and I am aware of that.  They were rough logos.  Several things are still being fine tuned to the way I want it, so it is by no means a final draft.  Anyway, I want to thank everyone who has helped me improve the original rough logo posts!  I am so much happier with how things are now and it is largely in part to all of the wonderful input I received here!

JenniSize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniSize Posted 10 May 2013 , 2:45am
post #47 of 47

As a graphic designer/typesetter whose been in the business for 15+ years, please tell your designer to check with your printer before submitting for print. There may be standard inks they can use that are close to your colors. Custom ink colors can add extra charges to your printing. There are also technical issues that she may need to work out. It's better to get these things fixed before you submit for printing. Once the printer starts working on it, they could add charges on for any extra work they have to do or it could add extra time going back and forth to get things fixed.

If she needs any advice just PM me. I'll be glad to help any way I can.

I think the logo is looking great though. You're on the right track!

Kara

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%