Logo Design Critique Please!!

Business By HannahsMomi Updated 10 May 2013 , 2:45am by JenniSize

HannahsMomi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HannahsMomi Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 7:56pm
post #1 of 47

I'm hoping to get some critiques of my logo design please??  Let me know what you all think?

46 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 7:59pm
post #2 of 47

AIs the ribbon & the writing on the ribbon meant to all be the same? It shoul be. It looks a bit odd at the moment.

I really like the design. Be sure to ask yourself if all the details of it will be easily replicated. Think I more than just print. Will you be able to replicate it with embroidery on aprons or shirts?

HannahsMomi Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:13pm
post #3 of 47

Yes, the ribbon needs some work.  It looks a little strange to me as well.  I think the designer is trying to get a little too fancy for me.  I just want something simple, yet fun and elegant at the same time.  Really, keep the critiques coming.  I want to make sure my logo is appealing!

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:19pm
post #4 of 47

I really like it.  I think the cake needs to be moved up just a touch in the oval.  And yes, the "m" in bloom is odd.  I would just do it the sames as the "cakes" (all the same coloring, without the ripple in the ribbon).

But I really really like it! 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 47

AMy first impressions: the opacity of the background oval could be reduced (or just desaturate the yellow), and the cake should be moved up so the bottom rose is centered at the widest point of the oval, perhaps with the top of the cake extending out of the top of the oval. Straighten the right side of the ribbon and standardize the text/background. Reduce the size of the bottom flower or bring the banners closer in, since there is too much space between the words.

You also may want to try for more contrast with the text., light blue on gray and light blue on yellow can be difficult to read. Your 72% gray is underutilized, black might be a better fit for the banners (as an outline with a white background) and to highlight the borders of the cake.

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 12:37am
post #6 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeesKnees578 

I really like it.  I think the cake needs to be moved up just a touch in the oval.  And yes, the "m" in bloom is odd.  I would just do it the sames as the "cakes" (all the same coloring, without the ripple in the ribbon).

But I really really like it! 

Ditto, fix that and I think it's good.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 5:27am
post #7 of 47

I think Jason's comments are spot on. I was going to say that the cake wasn't quite centered and that something about the colors made it hard to look at.

I love the name! I know you didn't ask about that, but it's unique and I like the picture it paints in my mind: Cakes in Bloom. Very nice!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 6:26am
post #8 of 47

I think it's a fabulous design that perhaps could just do with some tweeking (I haven't read other comments yet as I didn't want them to influence my thoughts, LOL!)

I think the blue lettering on the grey banner isn't particularly easy to read.  I also don't get why the last part of the banner is a different colour? It looks a bit odd to me and just doesn't flow.  And it drops down too much... I don't like how the last letter is on a different level to the rest. 

The cake etc inside the oven look like they need to be centred a bit?  Perhaps they're a little too low.

And I'd be interested to see what it looks like with a border around the flowers.

Now I'll go read what the other replies say! icon_biggrin.gif

Suzanne x

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 12:30pm
post #9 of 47

AThe colors are hard to look at for me.

HannahsMomi Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 12:46pm
post #10 of 47

Wow!  Thanks for all of the comments!  I love all the details!  I've been having the same thoughts about the colors that some of you have mentioned.  The yellow, blue,and gray are the colors that I'm going with for my "theme".  I'm just not sure how else to use them in the logo??  Any thought?  Maybe I should add another color like chocolate brown?  Would that work?  Just not sure.  I'm definitely going to address the ribbon as well.  And placement within the oval...moving it up and making sure it's centered.

I love the name too.  Cakes In Bloom is kind of based on my business being located in a town called Bloomington!  Thank you all so much!  You really don't know how much I appreciate this.  It's nice to get some objective opinions about it.  I've been looking at it for so long I really don't think I "see" it anymore! icon_biggrin.gif

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:09am
post #11 of 47

I love the cake colors and the design. My only critque would be just what everyone else said. The banner. it took a minute before I noticed the "in" in the middle of the flower and the fact that bloom isn't one flowing word makes it a little awkward to read. I think with some the lettering in a different style it would really be a winner!

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 5:30am
post #12 of 47

Please will you let us know (on this thread, so we're notified!) if you get it amended so we can see....  icon_smile.gif

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 12:27pm
post #13 of 47

AI like it, I've read the previous comments and so you know the cake itself should be moved a little up and to the right. Definitely change the ribbon on the right side to be more visually pleasing to the eye.

A couple things you may want to try.... Lighten up the yellow color inside the oval, to make the darker yellow flower middles pop out, possibly seeing the "in" better. Or, if you are trying to keep that yellow in your theme perhaps try changing the flower to be a "sunflower" and then make the oval background white. ?! Just some thoughts. I do love that the business name plays off your town name, very cute!!!

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 12:47pm
post #14 of 47

I'm sorry, but I don't like the colors or the banner/lettering.  Yellow/blue/gray is a current trendy color combo, but my real problem with it is the fact that the combination is coming off as unappetizing.

For instance, think about candy bar wrappers: the vast majority are orange, red, yellow and brown.  That is because those colors tell your brain that if you are hungry, these are going to be a delicious choice.  A logo doesn't have to go that far, but you also don't want to send the opposite subliminal signal to potential customers.  Maybe your logo designer can do a couple of combos of two of those colors along with another new color, and see if it changes the feeling that is being portrayed.

Liz

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 1:04pm
post #15 of 47

AI agree that the yellow background is too bright, and I don't like the combination of the blue writing on the gray banner, the idea of a white banner with black outline is better. If you want to keep gray somehow I guess you could keep it as a gray banner but do black writing, and have it look more like its actually on the banner rather than just typed over the top.

I love the idea though, it's very cute!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 1:10pm
post #16 of 47

AKeep on mind how visible your colors will be on a street sign. You can use your favorite colors for decorating, but you'll want something eye catching in your logo.

HannahsMomi Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:51pm
post #17 of 47

You all have some great ideas!  I think I need to sit down and rethink my colors a little bit.  All of your thoughts have been really helpful.  I love the overall design so far, but there was something making me a little unsure about the logo.  That's why I asked for comments icon_smile.gif  You all have confirmed my uneasiness with it!   I think I've been too concerned with sticking with those 3 colors.  I'm going to sit down with some colored pencils today and 

see what I can come up with...Maybe bring in some chocolate brown somehow and omit 1 or 2 of the colors.  I can

still use those other colors in my bakery in other ways.  If there are any more suggestions, please keep them coming!  I really do take all the comments to heart.  Advice on this board has never steered me the wrong way!  And I will definitely post adjustments when they are made!

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 8:38pm
post #18 of 47

Going from a design point (my husband is a creative director and i asked him to give me three quick critiques when he walked by and the logo was pop up on the screen)

. it isn't immediately obvious that this is a cake shop/bakery logo.  The flowers are too big and they register before the image/message of the cake.  

. The art doesn't match in style.  The flowers are silhouettes, the cake is line art, and the banner doesn't match either. It appears to have been pieced together from line art. 

. The name is not visible without having to work for it.  The name has to have some pop in it and it is hidden in the banner. There isn't contrast to the font, the stock font is italic and by nature lacking impact, and the awkward line break in Bloom. Being able to find the name needs to be priority #1.    

FWIW, he likes the colors, but there needs to be a darker contrast so that the logo can be translated into a BW version. 

HannahsMomi Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 8:49pm
post #19 of 47

lorieleann...thanks for that!  Love the professional advice.  I'm definitely going to work on it.  I'll post when I get a revised logo up!

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:29pm
post #20 of 47

I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but - you paid a professional designer money to make you that logo?  I think you need to get a new/more experienced designer.  There are sites on etsy who make adorable bakery logos (google:  bakery logo etsy) - this logo is just not doing it for me.  The cake (line art) looks off, the banner is awful and the writing is weird.  I love the name, and the general idea, but it needs to be executed way better.

jason_kraft Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:31pm
post #21 of 47

AI'm pretty sure OP created this logo on her own.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 10:57pm
post #22 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I'm pretty sure OP created this logo on her own.

No - earlier in the post she mentions that she thinks "the designer is trying to get a little too fancy for me."  

jason_kraft Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 11:31pm
post #23 of 47

AGot it, I must have missed that.

I agree that there are several issues with the logo but it should be salvageable. If the revisions are still off then it might be time to find a new designer.

In any case, I'd be curious to know how much OP paid for the logo.

HannahsMomi Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 12:29pm
post #24 of 47

No, I didn't create it myself.  I have a family member who went to grad school for graphic design.  She is helping me out with it.  I really don't have much extra money to go to paying a professional.  I'm spending money left and right to get my in home licensed kitchen done.  I'm hoping I'll be able to work this out without having to spend so much money.  Don't say it....."You get what you pay for, right?"  I'm giving this a chance.

HannahsMomi Posted 4 May 2013 , 11:09pm
post #25 of 47

OK, everyone.  I have a new updated logo.  It's still a rough draft, but I am so much happier with it.  Colors still need adjusting and a couple other things, but we are almost there.  There are 2 because I'm still trying to decide which colors should go where.  Input would be appreciated!  Thanks again for all of the advice.  I owe a special thanks to one person in particular, she is almost totally responsible for the new design...erin2345!  Live saver!  OK, maybe I'm being a little over dramatic...icon_smile.gif

HannahsMomi Posted 4 May 2013 , 11:13pm
post #26 of 47

sorry...forgot to add the pics!

HannahsMomi Posted 4 May 2013 , 11:15pm
post #27 of 47

sorry, forgot to add pics!  Here they are...

jason_kraft Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:08am
post #28 of 47

AThe top left one looks great, the left side of the banner just needs to be brought in front of the border.

The new logo does come across a little cartoony and casual...that's not necessarily a bad thing, just make sure it matches your target market. For example, it might not mesh well with a business that focuses on elegant and formal wedding cakes for more conservative customers.

HannahsMomi Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:41am
post #29 of 47

Yeah, I've already got it on my list to change the banner on the left.  I was trying to make the logo more on the casual/fun side.  I'm also selling set menu cupcakes and dessert cakes, plus occasion cakes.  I want to come off as current, fun, casual...yet able to do wedding cakes as well.  I want to have a logo that is welcoming and inviting...

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 5 May 2013 , 12:47am
post #30 of 47

AI like the lower left better, I like that font better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%