Fondant In The Fridge.....?

Decorating By prettycupcake Updated 26 Apr 2013 , 3:35pm by ddaigle

prettycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycupcake Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:21pm
post #1 of 6

Hi Everyone,

So I know everyone says don't put your fondant covered cakes in the fridge, but my question is...if I have a perishable filling, like coconut custard, how do I keep it out all that time. I want to start working on the cake now. The cake is for 2 PM delivery tomorrow....Not sure what I should do...

Thanks for all replies...

Heidi 

5 replies
ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 6

I always put my fondant covered cakes in the frig.   No problem at all.

prettycupcake Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:26pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I always put my fondant covered cakes in the frig.   No problem at all.

That's good to hear...I have done it a few times too, but I worry about that hideous bump that ends up showing every time. People say that's because the cake sweats when its coming to room temperature. Does that happen to you?

ddaigle Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:28pm
post #4 of 6

After I decorate all of my cakes, regardless of butter cream or fondant, I take a straight pin and go around and poke holes where they can't be seen.   I have had my cakes bubble up before due to the change in temperatures.....if that is what you are talking about?

prettycupcake Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddaigle 

After I decorate all of my cakes, regardless of butter cream or fondant, I take a straight pin and go around and poke holes where they can't be seen.   I have had my cakes bubble up before due to the change in temperatures.....if that is what you are talking about?

I'm talking about the dreaded bulge that sometimes still appears, sometimes even after I ganache a cake...I dont know why but it happenes...

ddaigle Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 3:35pm
post #6 of 6

If you are talking in between layers....then that is due to where you are placing your dam...and how long you are letting your crumb coat sit before icing.    After I crumb coat, all my cakes go in the frig overnight.   I don't put bricks or other stuff I've read to "squish" or "settle" the cake.   I just put my dam on the inside of each layer and let the cake sit overnight. 

Again, these are my opinions and the way I do cakes.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%