Help! How To Make 'finger Printing Dust'??

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 10:11pm by bct806

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 2:21am
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone! I am trying to make the finger print dust like on this cake.  I messaged the designer about 3 weeks ago, and never got a response, so im looking to get some ideas from whoever may help! I am wanting to duplicate how its in the container and then also have it so I can have a fingerprint on the board (if possible) .  I just tried coloring powder sugar, since its the right consistency and look - expect it wouldn't color at all.... Any other ideas? I'm at a point , really if its not edible that would be okay too!

Thanks

http://cakecentral.com/g/i/2338838/graduation-cake-wasc-mmf-gumpaste-and-rkt-decorations-made-using-sugarshacks-book-smarts-dvd-i-couldnt-have-done-it-without-sharon/

5 replies
MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 2:25am
post #2 of 6

it just looks like any powder to me, maybe just some powdered sugar mixed with luster dust?

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 2:26am
post #3 of 6

I would say grind up some grey chalk or some inexpensive grey eyeshadow.  Or you can purchase some grey luster dust.  

MeghanKelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeghanKelly Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 2:35am
post #4 of 6

I would be nervous about using chalk, eyeshadow or other non-edibles anywhere near my cake.

tomsanncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsanncakes Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 9:58pm
post #5 of 6

I would agree with trying the luster dust or petal dust.

bct806 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bct806 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 10:11pm
post #6 of 6

Colored cornstarch! I did a Color Me Rad 5K and they used colored cornstarch to throw at us. It is just water, food color, and cornstarch from your local store.http://www.millyandtilly.com/2013/03/diy-color-powders.html

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%