Using Tape On Fondant?

Decorating By jennicake Updated 26 Apr 2013 , 9:43pm by jennicake

jennicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 9:11pm
post #1 of 6

I want to do a checkerboard pattern on a cake, and piecing together squares of alternating colors of fondant seems like a huge headache.  So I thought maybe I could cover the cake in the first color of fondant, then stick on little squares of tape or stickers, airbrush the second color over top of the whole thing, then remove the squares.  Has anyone tried this before?  Did it work?  My biggest concern is that the tape wont come off the fondant cleanly after it has been on for a few hours.

Any feedback would be much appreciated :)

5 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennicake Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 10:22pm
post #3 of 6

icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

I had no idea stencils for this existed.  Based on the actual design, didn't think it was possible.  Thank you!!  I will have to pick up one of these for next time.

For this time (working on cake tonight), maybe I'll attempt to make myself a wax paper stencil or something.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 10:26pm
post #4 of 6

Sure, that could work too. Or parchment paper. Or .....

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:14pm
post #5 of 6

Use baking parchment or greaseproof paper to make the squares for the checkerboard pattern - rather than glue based tape or stickers (which are not suitable for food use)  Dab the back of each square with a little white fat, for example Crisco and position squares in place on fondant base to create pattern. Airbrush second colour over pattern. When dry, squares should peel off easily.

It would be advisable to do the fondant base in the lighter colour first, and the top coat then in the darker shade rather than light on dark - for best results.

Hope this helps!

jennicake Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the tips and advice.  I started gluing down pieces of wax paper (with shortening) and then airbrushing over that, but the pressure from the airbrush moved the pieces of paper too much.  So I gave up and cut out a bunch of squares and pieced them together instead.

I definitely will purchase that stencil though.  My finished product was far from perfect, and I want the perfection that only a stencil can provide :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%