Painting Gumpaste Roses

Decorating By cakeobsession79 Updated 28 Apr 2013 , 2:18am by costumeczar

cakeobsession79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeobsession79 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 7:41pm
post #1 of 4

AHi all, I'm new to both gumpaste and cake central! Well I have read a lot of forums on here but never posted or joined. I've been working with fondant for awhile and now branching out into gumpaste. I've just finished making some 50/50 pink roses. They turned out really pretty but I want to make them pop now with a little extra color. I'm trying to decide what dust and method will be best. As I said they are already pink so just some highlighting needs to be done to give them dimension. I do like the sparkle so thought maybe luster dust but what color would be a nice accent? Or should I use the petal dust/steam method I've been reading about on here? Any suggestions would be appreciated by this newbie!!!

3 replies
Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 4

Do you want to enhance the color, making them more realistic, or do you prefer more fantasy style?  If you're looking for the more realistic touch, dusting them then setting the dust by steaming them would be the way to go.

cakeobsession79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeobsession79 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:11am
post #3 of 4

AThanks!! I ground some chalk as I read about on a post here to make petal dust and applied a dark pink to the inner middle sections of the rose leaves and it looks great. What would happen if I didn't set it with steam and just left it? Does steaming if affect the look it had or just simply prolong and preserve the color.?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 2:18am
post #4 of 4

It sets the color a little, it can still rub off but it's much less likely to. It can also make it look kind of shiny, depending on how long you hold it in the steam.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%