Cake Flour??

Baking By sweet_cravings Updated 27 Apr 2013 , 7:56pm by BakingIrene

sweet_cravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_cravings Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 3

All new eggless recipes I'm going to try has 'All Purpose flour' in it but can I use cake flour instead of all purpose just to get lighter & less dense cake since its eggless? Will it make a good difference? And if so how should I alter the recipe from All Purpose to Cake flour??

Thx in advance.

2 replies
cakesbyss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyss Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 3

as far as i was told cake flour has less glutton in it. so you can still use it.

did you end up making the eggless cake? i am looking for an eggless cake. let me know if it works out!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 3

You should use BLEACHED all purpose flour if the recipe calls for it. Cake flour may be too soft and this comes out as a gloppy unrisen cake NOT a light cake.

Unbleached all purpose flour makes great pasta and bread, therefore not good cake unless you  are adding lots of buttermilk, sour cream, cream cheese or yogurt.  I make many such cake recipes without eggs, and they come out light and fine grained and tender. The combination of fresh baking powder and acid is enough to make a cake light if you do not overmix.

Please post a specific recipe because it is impossible to give useful specific advice without it.   

In the most general case, a lighter cake results from weighing the flour because that takes out the variations in packing.  kingarthurflour.com has many cake recipes giving both volume and weight measuring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%