When I See Cakes This Awesome...

Decorating By SPCOhio Updated 25 Apr 2013 , 11:13pm by annakat444

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:48am
post #1 of 13

AI want to go hide in a hole and never make another cake. http://www.sugarrealm.com/couture-wedding.html Many of the artists I see here make me feel the same way (AZCouture and mdgosnell to name a couple). Who inspires you and scares you with their talent at the same time? Lol

12 replies
cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:55am
post #2 of 13

I used to feel that way when I was younger.  I would get so overwhelmed with what other people could do that it didn't seem worth trying.  Then I hit a stage where I spent so much time looking at beautiful cakes that I didn't have time to be making them.  Now I'm older I don't care.  I just enjoy the trying and if it doesn't look wonderful, who cares.  We all know the cake will taste great.  Still spend far too much time looking, though.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 6:47am
post #3 of 13

No one. I once read on facebook: "Don't compare your beginning with another person's middle." Are there artists who inspire me? Absolutely, but I don't get intimidated, instead I feel so much hope that if they can do it, I can too. I just have to keep at it. Ron Ben Israel is the first person that comes to mind. I love his work! Faye Cahill is a close second. There are also many cakers here on CC that inspire me. 

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 7:36am
post #4 of 13

I'm not at all envious- all these amazing cakes just inspire me! Although my collection of "I gotta try that.... ooh ooh and that!" pics is so huge now that I would have to live to 93 to make them all! lol (and I just saved the pic you linked to into that folder!)

The way I see it it's not like the Olympics; there isn't one caker who is the best, and one who is second and I am just lost somewhere way down in that ranking.... making something neat and original can put you up there with the best, even just for a day :-) it's your own pride (and a cake in the CC top 10 for the day banner!) that really counts in my opinion :-)

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 8:13am
post #5 of 13

I do know EXACTLY what you mean (although whilst I admire the workmanship in that cake it does absolutely nothing for me!!)

For me, if I ever made a cake like this, I'd hang up my apron for good, because I don't think I'd ever be able to top it!

(Peggy Porschen, floral avalanche)

http://london.greatbritishlife.co.uk/editorial-image/id/114587/?back=/article/have-your-cake-29931/

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 10:35am
post #6 of 13

I like a lot of people just because of their style.  I really can't say I take inspiration from any one person.  I will say that the black and white cake is...interesting.  I'm not personally a fan, but I could see how someone else could appreciate that design. 

Jess155 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jess155 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 1:05pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

"Don't compare your beginning with another person's middle."

This is so true - in caking and in life.  I do all of about 5-6 cakes per year, so mine are not going to be as fantastic as those who do this for a living.  Of course, we've all seen Cake Wrecks and that makes me feel better thumbs_up.gif.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 13

There is so much talent in this community and around the world that it is easy to become overwhelmed by them.  When I first became a member on CC I wasn't sure I wanted to post anything until I realized what a great teaching tool this is.  Now, I follow those I want to learn from on here, FB, and countless other places.  I am no longer intimidated by talent but in awe of many like AZCouture, Karascouturecakes, Three Little Blackbirds, FromScratch,SF, DesireeA, Pippilotta and countless others.  I get so excited when I see a new technique - doesn't mean I can do it- lol .  I can't tell you how many times I ran to my DH and said, "You gotta check this amazing cake out!"   Slowly, I am developing my own cake signature and having fun in the process :)

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 3:18pm
post #9 of 13

The truth is anyone on this site can intimidate me, IF I let them.  There are times I don't post a pic, but the ones I have I've gotten great feedback.  Those comments are so inspiring to me to keep on going.  I learned in music not to try and copy anyone else but to God gave us all a different voice and to appreciate that one and build on it.  So what I see on here inspires me and motivates me to learn and do better.  My family, friends and customers have seen the difference and that's what matters to me.  Yes I ooh and awe over all those awesome, marvelous, gorgeous, adorable designs. Yes I drool over a new recipe, Then I get to workin.  Don't let it drag you down, just keep trying.

morninglorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morninglorie Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 3:34pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by vgcea 

"Don't compare your beginning with another person's middle."

Something I definitely need to keep in mind!  But I do hope to be as talented as so many people on this site are, someday :)   But yes, I keep having to remind myself that I've only been decorating for a year, and the skill will come with time and practice.

As far as inspiration/people I admire, I also love many that were already listed...my newest admiration is for nevie-pie's amazing hand painting.  I seem to be gathering more and more favorites as time goes on and my interests in different skills expand :)

Lovelyladylibra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovelyladylibra Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 4:08pm
post #11 of 13

No, it makes me want to practice more so I can be as good as they are. 

Margaret393 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Margaret393 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 4:22pm
post #12 of 13

Hi SPCOhio

I too am in awe of the wonderful  works of Cake Art by such gifted people here on CC.  What inspires me is the courage and enthusiasm of beginners who look to the professionals on CC  for constructive feedback on their FIRST cakes, be it for a child's birthday or a family occasion. Many Professionals here on CC, are so helpful, honest  and generous with their time, readily offering advice to aspiring cake makers by sharing  their knowledge - based on extensive experiences.

I enjoy making cakes as a hobby - and have learnt alot from others in the CC community. The key to success is to stay positive and practice! Practice Makes Perfect!!! Hang in there!

Good Luck and Happy Baking!

Margaret 393

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:13pm
post #13 of 13

If I'm envious of anybody, it's that they realized their passion in time to go to school for it. I didn't realize my love for cakes until after I got married and started a family. I know there's still time, but it seems next to impossible to go to school anytime soon to learn what I need to learn. My two biggest inspirations are Colette Peters and Maggie Austin, I love that colette uses luster dust on everything and I love Maggie's couture style!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%