Modeling Chocolate Newbie Needs Help!

Decorating By JanDunlevy Updated 25 Apr 2013 , 9:26am by JanDunlevy

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 1:56am
post #1 of 5

AThis is my first time sculpting a figure with modeling chocolate. I am putting a standing lion on a 6" cake board as a topper. I am struggling with the weight of the figure collapsing the legs! Will it ever get hard enough to support itself? I have it in the refrigerator now trying to harden it to give it another try at standing. Any suggestions, tips or hints would be greatly appreciated! I am using Fondarific sculpting chocolate and it says it is for sculpting.

4 replies
bigdad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigdad Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:05am
post #2 of 5

you may have to put some extra support in the legs. toothpicks or sticks for lollypops

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 3:46am
post #3 of 5

Do you have a picture so we can see where it's collapsing?

I agree with the lollipop stick support, you can also try to use a little bit of melted chocolate to attach the legs, when the chocolate hardens, it may give it some extra support. I usually make my large toppers out of rice krispie treats and then cover with modeling chocolate to prevent them from being too heavy. I know it doesn't help you this time, but if you make another large topper, you may want to lighten it that way.

Good luck!!

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 7:38am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdad 

you may have to put some extra support in the legs. toothpicks or sticks for lollypops

This^^^

make sure they go through the cake to the cake board or your lion might sink into the top of your cake!

JanDunlevy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanDunlevy Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 9:26am
post #5 of 5

ATried to upload a picture and couldn't . Using my Ipad and CC isn't too user friendly with that. I will try the lollipop sticks for sure! Thanks to all responders. Usually use RKT with fondant covering but was so taken with the workability of the modeling chocolate I decided to make him all chocolate. I'll know better next time! Hopefully will have a completed project to post on Sunday. The Lion is the Old Dominion University mascot that is the statue in the quad at the campus.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%