Heirloom Roses - Gumpaste

Decorating By jena2727 Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 8:28pm by PTDixieGal

jena2727 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jena2727 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 1:35am
post #1 of 12

Any suggestions or tutorials on making roses similar to these? I have a bride requesting them on her cake. I've been looking and am not finding much. TIA

11 replies
heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:06am
post #2 of 12

I recently had to make some English garden roses which were a bit like that for a wedding cake and was in the same spot as you not finding any tutuorials. I want to forewarn you, it takes a gazillion petals to make each flower and they are HEAVY! Make sure your wire is study and is well placed and glued into your base and then well dried for several days as it is going to have to hold a lot of weight as you add more and more petals and hang it to dry.

You begin to make the rose the same as normal for a large rose construction. However, do not furl the petals as you go. You will need to increase the petal size incrementally for every row letting the rose dry for a bit in between applications.  It probably took me close onto 75 petals for each rose. I thought I would never be done! 

The roses I did had the three centers so that was even more interesting....NOT! Good luck to you.

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 3:41am
post #3 of 12

You know, they have a structure similar to a peony. You might try to search for peony tutorials and just switch out the peony petal cutter for a rose petal cutter.

They're beautiful! icon_smile.gif

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 4:55am
post #4 of 12

Youtube has a fabulous David Austin Roses Tutorial in several parts by Poppy Belles Cakery.

You can adapt this tutorial to make your garden roses.

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 6:11am
post #5 of 12

Jena, curious:

How many roses do you need?

Will they be closed up like the one in the picture?

Color is the same, or different?

jena2727 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:25pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks everyone for the great advice! 

Bakingangel - She wants them just like the picture except the color will be a shade of Coral. I haven't received the color swatch yet. And She wants 5 of them for a 3 tier cake.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 12
Bakingangel Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 7:44pm
post #8 of 12

Jena,  just a someone earlier mentioned, they will be very heavy due to the core and the number of petals.  If I were doing them I would use an egg shaped styrofoam  for the center cone with the wider end at the bottom of the flower.  These roses don't appear to have the more pointed center as most do. They look more like a tiny cabbage. Double wire it with a thick wire using hot glue. Cover the bud with gumpaste, let dry and then add  rows of petals.  I recommend making the gumpaste using Nicholas Lodge's recipe. It is great for rolling very thin, which is what you want to get the realistic look of the rose. I think his recipe is on his website. If not let me know and I will send it to you.  Glad she only wants 5.  

If I can help in anyway, please let me know. 

Bakingangel Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:11pm
post #9 of 12

Forgot to ask, when is the wedding? 

jena2727 Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel 

Jena,  just a someone earlier mentioned, they will be very heavy due to the core and the number of petals.  If I were doing them I would use an egg shaped styrofoam  for the center cone with the wider end at the bottom of the flower.  These roses don't appear to have the more pointed center as most do. They look more like a tiny cabbage. Double wire it with a thick wire using hot glue. Cover the bud with gumpaste, let dry and then add  rows of petals.  I recommend making the gumpaste using Nicholas Lodge's recipe. It is great for rolling very thin, which is what you want to get the realistic look of the rose. I think his recipe is on his website. If not let me know and I will send it to you.  Glad she only wants 5.  

If I can help in anyway, please let me know. 

Thank you sooooo much!! I am no pro at gumpaste flowers, have only made a few. I will certainly be practicing with hopes of early success and be able to use them for the actual cake. I will look up his recipe as I currently only use premade gumpaste (due to lack of time with the ones I have made) I will more than likely have some more questions! I greatly appreciate the advice of everyone and the offers for continued support. The wedding isn't until November, plenty of time!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 12

There are now the eggshaped flower centers, I believe they are by Wilton.  They may be a little small for what you need, but I only saw 1 size at the location I was at.  Maybe there are several sizes which would make more sense.

PTDixieGal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTDixieGal Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 12

OH WOW! I'm new to this...I will DEFINITELY have to try this someday!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%