Scratch Caramel Cake? (Or Brown Sugar Cake?)

Baking By kellie1996 Updated 29 Apr 2013 , 1:32pm by yortma

kellie1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie1996 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 12:47am
post #1 of 4

So I think I've finally found a vanilla cake recipe I'm satisfied with (thank you fromscratchsf), I used her white cake: 

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

Now, I've also got a chocolate cake I'm happy with, which is Mccall's 'perfect chocolate cake' here: http://www.food.com/recipe/perfect-chocolate-cake-mccalls-cooking-school-443720

But there are a couple of cupcake flavours I've done before using alterations of my OLD vanilla cupcake recipe (Billy's), such as apple pie and caramel. For the 'caramel' undertone in these cupcakes, I subbed white sugar for brown, and they turned out fairly well. These are actually favourite flavours for my family. 

But looking back, Billy cupcakes are slightly more dense, not as soft/fluffy and dry out, where as fromscratchsf's stay lovely and moist and fluffy. I'm scared about substituting the brown sugar in her recipe though, I just don't feel it's as 'stable'? Like it's a delicate recipe if that makes sense, that can't handle a lot of alterations. 

Has anyone tried using brown sugar in her recipe? Or do you have a great brown sugar cake recipe of your own? I have also heard about 'browned butter' which I think would also lend that type of favour I'm going for in these cupcakes. Would love to hear your thoughts? 

3 replies
kellie1996 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellie1996 Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 11:08pm
post #2 of 4

Bump

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 4:16am
post #3 of 4

I've tried other flavors of her cake, but not caramel.  You might PM her and see what she has to say about it.  Maybe she's tried it but hasn't posted it, or since she is very scientific with her recipes, she'd be able to tell you whether it's possible or not.  She's VERY helpful!  I know because I've contacted her many times with questions and she always responds cordially.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 29 Apr 2013 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 4

I found this on line somewhere and have it in my to try file.  It received  rave review from on line reviewers, but I haven't tried it myself.  Looking for an excuse to test it out. I would also be interested in testing it out with this reverse creaming, and also the more traditional technique to see if there is a difference.  If you make it, let us know what you think!  

3 cups (10.5 oz) cake flour sifted if measuring by volume

1 1/2 Tablespoon baking powder

1/2 cup sugar

1 1/2 cups brown sugar packed

1 tsp salt

1 cup (8 oz) butter, room temp cut into chunks 

1 1/4 cups whole milk divided

2 eggs

6 egg whites

2 tsp vanilla

Mix dry ingredients together in mixer.  Add 1 cup milk and butter.  mix 2 minutes until light and fluffy.  Mix 1/4 cup milk with eggs and vanilla.  Add in 1/3 at a time, mixing until combined, 20 to 30 seconds after each after each.  pour into pans and bake.     3 9" layers. 

For the SMBC

1 pound unsalted butter

5 whites

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup granulated sugar

1/2 tsp salt

1tsp vanilla

Make as usual for SMBC

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%