Scalloped Chevron

Decorating By IHeartCupcakes Updated 26 Apr 2013 , 9:41pm by Annabakescakes

IHeartCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCupcakes Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 28

AHello!

Does anybody have any idea how these scalloped chevron stripes on the middle tier were done? Do you think they were hand cut? Thank you!

http://couturecakery.net/2012/07/22/the-art-of-collaboration-yellow-and-grey-chevron-cakes-and-sweets-table/

27 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 12:09am
post #2 of 28

I do have the cutters like that(i think by fmm). That would make it so much easier. hth

Bakingangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakingangel Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 12:25am
post #3 of 28

It looks like she used a small cutting wheel.  Wilton has different patterns. Also I think PME has a cutting wheel with different wheels.

IHeartCupcakes Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 12:29am
post #4 of 28

AI'm so happy to hear there may be cutters for the scalloped patter, but I can't seem to find them :-(

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:03am
post #5 of 28

AThis is a blade set that is used for sewing but if you go to joanns fabrics you can buy the handle that goes with these blades

www.nancysnotions.com/product/olfa+rotary+blade+set.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=1

Here's some rotary cutters but you can buy them cheaper at a craft store using a coupon.

search.nancysnotions.com/?q=rotary+cutter&Search.x=0&Search.y=0&sp_cs=UTF-8

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:07am
post #6 of 28
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 2:22am
post #7 of 28

AIm not sure if this cutter can be used to do a chevron pattern or not

kitchenware.goldaskitchen.com/cookware/Fondant%20Strip%20Cutter

ApplegumPam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 4:43am
post #8 of 28

Did nobody notice my post?   Is it even showing?  Because if it were AND you had looked you would see that the cutter ......

is FOUND!  thumbs_up.gif

Bakingangel Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 5:21am
post #9 of 28

Applegum Pam - I dont think it is the frill cutters.  Reason why is she also uses a stitching pattern in the middle of the chevron. Wilton has a new product called a Detailed Embosser that has two extra wheels that pop on the handle.  Each wheel has 3 patterns.  Dash (stitch), scalloped, wave, dot , etc.  My wheel is an old Wilton  that had two extra little wheels that have different patterns. I think it is white and the wheels slip into the handle.

But you just might be right too!  Too bad we can't just ask her!

ApplegumPam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 9:27pm
post #10 of 28

Oh gosh - sometimes I think you people OVER-ANALYSE things - without wanting to sound persnickty, sometimes the answer is staring you straight in the face but you just don't want to see it

In an effort to clear the forest from the trees....... I quickly rolled and cut for you

YES - it IS only 2 stripes ..... BUT you can make as many as you like :P

The 'middle' is not stitched - not something rolled over the fondant - it is quite simply the SAME cutter - just pressed a little lighter to 'emboss the strip rather than CUT through it

This is not perfect - but it did only take 2mins  - I am sure you COULD find another way that might take more time...... but seriously - WHY?

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 28

Applegum Pam,

That's the one I sent to the OP in a PM, but I e-mailed it to her because the link I had was a site that is blocked by CC. You posted the very one on a different site/supplier.

icon_smile.gif

ApplegumPam Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 9:46pm
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Applegum Pam,

That's the one I sent to the OP in a PM, but I e-mailed it to her because the link I had was a site that is blocked by CC. You posted the very one on a different site/supplier.

icon_smile.gif

Oh good !   I am NOT crazy  LOL   ...... oh - hang on - maybe we BOTH are crazy  haha

shanter Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 10:00pm
post #13 of 28

Applegum, That is entirely possible. Where's the emoticon with the baker in a straightjacket?

IHeartCupcakes Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 10:06pm
post #14 of 28

ABrilliant! Thank you all so much!! I am fairly new to cake decorating, so I still have a lot to learn. I appreciate all who have taken the time to reply. :grin:

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:18pm
post #15 of 28

So if someone in the United States was also wanting something similar to this, where would it be purchased?  The site listed above by Applegum Pam is in Australia, but I like that particular frill cutter.  Shanter, is the one you PM'd a different vendor that could be used in the US or is it the same vendor?

shanter Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:41pm
post #16 of 28

It is in the US but I can't post it here. PM me your e-mail address and I will send it to you.

cakegirl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl123 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:41pm
post #17 of 28

I know the creator of the cake so I emailed her. She said it was the scalloped zigzag from the Straight Frill Cutter Set 1. Here is the link -http://********************/catalog/gumpaste/FMM/JEM.htm

cakegirl123 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:42pm
post #18 of 28

Why did they block it? You can check **********.

cakegirl123 Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:43pm
post #19 of 28

OMG

shanter Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 11:50pm
post #20 of 28

Told you it couldn't be posted here. If I try to give you the hints so you can figure out the ***** part, CC will scold me, so just PM me your e-mail address.

Edited to say

My offer still stands, but I did find this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RYX1YI/?tag=cakecentral-20

which is not exactly the same, much shorter, and I can't tell if the ends are open. I think they would have to be, as who would want to cut a chevron/frill that was only 3 motifs long!

IHeartCupcakes Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 12:33am
post #21 of 28

AYou can get them from **********. Google frill cutters and you will find sellers. You can find them on eBay as well.

Bakingangel Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 7:49pm
post #22 of 28

Thanks Cakegirl for finding the answer!  I'm pretty sure the straight frill can be found at Global Sugar Arts as well.

Bakingangel Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 7:58pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumPam 

Oh gosh - sometimes I think you people OVER-ANALYSE things - without wanting to sound persnickty, sometimes the answer is staring you straight in the face but you just don't want to see it

In an effort to clear the forest from the trees....... I quickly rolled and cut for you

The 'middle' is not stitched - not something rolled over the fondant - it is quite simply the SAME cutter - just pressed a little lighter to 'emboss the strip rather than CUT through it

This is not perfect - but it did only take 2mins  - I am sure you COULD find another way that might take more time...... but seriously - WHY?

Thanks Applegum.  Sorry for upsetting you so much;  not my style. 

Your new "persnikity" admirer and friend. :)

Linda

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:19pm
post #24 of 28

I bought my set of cutters from Cake Crafts in Englewood, CO, in case anyone is in the area.  When I purchased them, I thought they would make a great chevron-style decoration on a cake.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:29pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:

Looks to me like it was cut using the FMM strip cutters

http://www.cakedecoratingsolutions.com.au/products/Cutter-%252d-Straight-Frill-%231-%28Set-4%29.html

Quote:

Did nobody notice my post?   Is it even showing?  Because if it were AND you had looked you would see that the cutter ......

is FOUND!  thumbs_up.gif

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Applegum Pam,

icon_smile.gif

I was right there with you guys, the whole time, lol. I never thought to use it that way, though. It is very pretty. And I have 2 of them, that would make short work of it!

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:31pm
post #26 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel 

Applegum Pam - I dont think it is the frill cutters.  Reason why is she also uses a stitching pattern in the middle of the chevron. Wilton has a new product called a Detailed Embosser that has two extra wheels that pop on the handle.  Each wheel has 3 patterns.  Dash (stitch), scalloped, wave, dot , etc.  My wheel is an old Wilton  that had two extra little wheels that have different patterns. I think it is white and the wheels slip into the handle.

But you just might be right too!  Too bad we can't just ask her!

I have that too. Complete utter crap, and a waste of a good $15 or so.

Bakingangel Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 8:52pm
post #27 of 28

Anna, are you talking about the new Wilton wheel?  It isn't worth the money?  Sorry to hear that. 

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Apr 2013 , 9:41pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakingangel 

Anna, are you talking about the new Wilton wheel?  It isn't worth the money?  Sorry to hear that. 

No, I have the first one, but I would not buy the second because they basically stole my money for the one I got. The handle is a joke, you may as well just put your hands on it and roll it like a rolling pin. The more pressure you put on it, the more it bends, and still doesn't evenly emboss or cut all the way through.

They should have a trade in program, the first for the second, if they are going to continue to sell their products when they should be in the development stage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%