Square Footage For Retail/bake Shop?

Business By KsCakes09 Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 7:44pm by ellavanilla

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 4

What is a good square footage for a storefront retail/bake shop?  I would like to sell custom cakes, wedding cakes as well as ready to sell cakes, cupcakes, cookies, brownies ect., some dipped chocolates.  I would also like to carry some supplies (fondant, tools etc. for cake making as well as chocolate molding supplies).  I've looked at a couple of locations & am having a hard time visualizing how much space I'll need.   How big should the kitchen be?  should it be bigger than the retail section?  Also if anyone knows where to find a list of equipment (how many sheet pans, racks, cake pans, utensils etc.) needed for start ups?  I've started one on my own but want to make sure I've covered everything.  thanks!

3 replies
ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:13pm
post #2 of 4

You might want to talk to a kitchen architect who will help you draw up plans. We hired one who did our plans for $500. If you have to do an extensive build out, you will need that to get your permits. 

We were going in at 1000 feet, but I feel like I could have gotten away with as little as 600 feet, since we weren't having any seating inside. HOWEVER, the county requires a bathroom and a changing/storage area for employees, so that was additional space we had to provide. 

An architect will know the laws and will help you with it. 

jen

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks Ellavanilla!  Do you know the dimensions of just your kitchen area?  I don't plan on doing any build outs, I want to go into a space & use the space that's there just modify walls & such.  The kitchen area is whats concerning me.  I want make sure I have enough working space & room to move around.  Not to mention a spot for a large cooler to store cakes,  & butter, milk, eggs ect., ovens, racks, shelving...  I've seen some photos online of bakery kitchens & it seems like most of them are very cluttered...is that the norm?

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsCakes09 

Thanks Ellavanilla!  Do you know the dimensions of just your kitchen area?  I don't plan on doing any build outs, I want to go into a space & use the space that's there just modify walls & such.  The kitchen area is whats concerning me.  I want make sure I have enough working space & room to move around.  Not to mention a spot for a large cooler to store cakes,  & butter, milk, eggs ect., ovens, racks, shelving...  I've seen some photos online of bakery kitchens & it seems like most of them are very cluttered...is that the norm?

I think they look cluttered because you can see everything, because it's all within a hand's reach. FYI modifying walls is "building out" Have you contacted the local planning commision? Here a drain is required for every refrigerator, a 3 part sink with a special back flow drain and a hood for the range. Have you considered that? Is it already in place in your space? What about gas and electric lines?

How much space you will need will depend on the equipment you want. A reach in fridge will take up less space than a walk in, but you might need more reach in. You might not need a range, but how many ovens will you have? The last thing you want is to be under equipped. A lot of that will be determined in your biz plan. How much product you plan to sell will determine how much equipment and storage you need.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%