Mickey Mouse Clubhouse Cake... Getting Copyright Permission?

Decorating By CakersbyEggers Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 12:50pm by CakersbyEggers

CakersbyEggers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakersbyEggers Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:00am
post #1 of 4

Hi,

I have only done character copyrighted cakes for my own personal use and not in my business. However, I have a client who wants a Mickey Mouse clubhouse cake for her son's 3rd birthday. All the other cake businesses she has contacted have turned her down because of the copyright issue.

I was wondering if any of you have had this problem. Have you contacted any companies (Disney, Marvel, etc) to get copyright permission for a cake? I want to be a legitimate business and I do not want to infringe on someone else's artistry. I wouldn't like it if someone did it to me. Any suggestions or ideas for me? Thanks!

3 replies
CakersbyEggers Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:19am
post #2 of 4

I just did a search and realized this is apparently beating a dead horse so sorry about that. This cake is mostly background and then it looks like the characters were bought and put on top. She wants it to look like this.

So is this copyright infringement if I buy the characters to put on top?

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:38am
post #3 of 4

AAs long as all copyrighted elements on the cake are purchased (and licensed) products instead of copies made from fondant/gumpaste/etc., you should be OK. The only thing I wouldn't do for the background are the Mickey Mouse heads.

CakersbyEggers Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 4

AThanks Jason. I will try to talk her into that idea. I appreciate your help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%