Grrrrr...

Decorating By sixinarow Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 8:00pm by sweettooth101

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 11:48pm
post #1 of 25

This is a vent!!! I just spent the last 2 hours making 200 fondant hydrangea flowers. My husband came home, so I left the room to greet him for 2 minutes. I know it was 2 minutes because the pasta had 2 minutes left on the timer. I came back in the kitchen when the timer beeped -- my 4 year old and 2 year old ate 30 of them. Not 4 or 5...30!!!

How is that even possible? *sigh* icon_cry.gif

24 replies
Carrie789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie789 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:03am
post #2 of 25

I feel for you. Sounds like they have had all the dinner they deserve for the evening.icon_biggrin.gif

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:08am
post #3 of 25

AOh No see what happens when we greet the ones we love!! Kidding. Oops guess those kiddos are full yep no supper for them.

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:14am
post #4 of 25

You just gave my my laugh for the evening!  It's funny but it's not...icon_biggrin.gif

MissLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLisa Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:18am
post #5 of 25

I once worked on flowers for a competition cake and left the room for a couple of minutes and the cat swatted them off the work table...........yep, 40 hrs of work shattered on the floor!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:20am
post #6 of 25

AOh that is so my baby! When I am all done with a cake & open the gate, my 2 year old comes to scour the floor hoping I've dropped some frosting. He'll run into the bakery & jump up on the chair hoping he can reach a leaf or petal or bow. Thu are so fast!

ShannonDavie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShannonDavie Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:42am
post #7 of 25

Oh no that really stinks! I have a 2, 3 and 6 year old and I can definitely see that happening to me one day. They are always begging for cake or whatever I am working on. They haven't snuck anything yet but I know it's coming!

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:39am
post #8 of 25

LOL your flowers are sweet, both the ones you made and the ones who ate them, 2 minutes huh? they're fast.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:19am
post #9 of 25

Oh, I'm so sorry! But, I have to say, I'm really impressed that you could make 200 in 2 hours! It takes me that long to make about 50.

sixinarow Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:47am
post #10 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcee 

Oh, I'm so sorry! But, I have to say, I'm really impressed that you could make 200 in 2 hours! It takes me that long to make about 50.

Should've said "cutting" 200 hydrangeas.  Had them cut and under saran wrap while I was veining them, the sad thing was they ate the finished ones, not the just cut ones! Stinkers...have their mama's sugar gene!

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 2:54am
post #11 of 25

AI'm sorry, but it will be funny later? LOL I came into the kitchen once to find most of a Sebastian (little mermaid ) figure gone. All that was left were a few red claws! My 3 year old niece immediately admitted eating it. When I asked her why she replied, "Because he was delicious!"

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:06am
post #12 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixinarow 

Should've said "cutting" 200 hydrangeas.  Had them cut and under saran wrap while I was veining them, the sad thing was they ate the finished ones, not the just cut ones! Stinkers...have their mama's sugar gene!

icon_lol.gif Ahh, OK, now I'm not feeling quite so inadequate! Of course they ate the finished ones, they're prettier! icon_smile.gif

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:21am
post #13 of 25

ALol they were thinking " Ahh oh look what mom make us to eat! Aren't these pretty and oh so YUMMY , thanks mom " lol.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 4:05am
post #14 of 25

Oh how sad.. I'm so sorry all your hard work is gone.  I have to watch things like a hawk when I'm making personal projects from home.  Between my mother, grandbabies and all the other kids in the neighborhood, its touch first ask later.

SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 6:25am
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellavanilla 

I'm sorry, but it will be funny later? LOL
I came into the kitchen once to find most of a Sebastian (little mermaid ) figure gone. All that was left were a few red claws! My 3 year old niece immediately admitted eating it. When I asked her why she replied, "Because he was delicious!"

That's so funny.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 7:08am
post #16 of 25

Sorry to stray a little from the subject, but....

Does the Health Department allow home bakeries when you have little kids at home?

Do you all actually allow little kids in the kitchen when you're caking?

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:38am
post #17 of 25

I have to say that it was drummed into my two boys from the word go that they DO NOT touch any of mummy's cake work.  Ever.

They never have!!

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 9:27am
post #18 of 25

AOh no! I'm soo sorry that happened!

Original message sent by Godot

Does the Health Department allow home bakeries when you have little kids at home?

She never said she was selling the cake.

Original message sent by Relznik

I have to say that it was drummed into my two boys from the word go that they DO NOT touch any of mummy's cake work.  Ever.

They never have!!

My step daughter knows to never ever touch my cake stuff(she's old enough to understand though). I've threatened that I would never ever feed her again (jokingly of course :lol:)!

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:01pm
post #19 of 25

AI never said that she stated that the cake was being made for a paying customer.

I simply wondered how various HDs view small children/pets residing in homes where food is prepared for sale to customers.

sixinarow Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:23pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita 

Lol they were thinking " Ahh oh look what mom make us to eat! Aren't these pretty and oh so YUMMY , thanks mom " lol.

Exactly! icon_lol.gif

sixinarow Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:44pm
post #21 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

The cake is for my sister's baby shower on Saturday, she's not a paying customer, although that doesn't make a difference in the quality of cake I make. I always do my baking after my kiddos are in bed, but thought I would get a head start on the fondant flowers (obviously a bad choice).

I remember being a kid and watching a baker make cinnamon rolls at a bakery through the glass window only to see his nose drip not once but twice into the dough he was rolling. I watched him not skip a beat, wipe his nose with his hand and roll out the rolls with those hands and bake them. I often wondered who bought and ate those rolls thinking the place was clean because the health department didn't see the guy with the runny nose.

Godot, not sure if you were trying to be offensive to moms, don't like kids or home bakers or maybe all of the above, and maybe I'm a little testy because I was up late re-making flowers. But I'm choosing to give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you were not implying that home bakers are all substandard in cleanliness or quality... because even though that's what it sounded like you were implying...I'm choosing to think I'm taking it the wrong way because I'm tired and a little cranky...

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:27pm
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godot 

You're kidding about this right?

We are talking about people (yes, little kids are people).  Not pets.  Why on earth wouldn't you be allowed to have a home bakery AND children at the same time?

And yes my kids were allowed in the kitchen when they were little because I taught them from the beginning they were not allowed to touch any caking things. 

But for the OP kids can be quick, that's for sure!

Some day (a really long time from now) this will be funny.  Some day.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 1:40pm
post #23 of 25

AI so knew someone would pipe in about cleanliness, sanitation, etc. I use a baby gate to separate the whole bakery from my 2 year old. When he was younger, he took 2 naps & I could do everything while he slept. Now, I just have to keep him where I can see him. If he's lucky & fast enough to get his hands on something, we throw it out and start over. Although usually, he's just swooping up frosting from the floor. Disgusting for him to eat off the floor, but it happens.

I kind of few children in the bakery the same way I do am intern or new employee. You have to teach them, train ten, & keep a watchful eye.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:15pm
post #24 of 25

A

Original message sent by cakesbycathy

We are talking about people (yes, little kids are people).  Not pets.  Why on earth wouldn't you be allowed to have a home bakery AND children at the same time?

It's not applicable in this case, but most states with cottage food laws do not allow infants or small children to be in the kitchen while food for sale is being prepared. Of course they are still allowed to be in the house.

Same story with commercial kitchens...if the health dept (or your liability insurance provider) found out that small children were running around your commercial kitchen that might be an issue.

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 8:00pm
post #25 of 25

It's funny how some of us think that just because you buy food from a legal, licensed place it is germ free and everything is totally hygienic. I was in a supermarket and saw the guy in the bakery section scoop cake batter into sheet pans with his bare hands, hairy arms almost up to his elbow in a pail , it really grossed me out. I don't understand why he couldn't use a cup or ladle.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%