How Many Cookies To Make For An Event?

Baking By cathynac Updated 28 Oct 2013 , 12:42pm by SuddenlySeymour

cathynac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathynac Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 11:56am
post #1 of 12

Hi all-

. I am planning to make horror-themed decorated sugar cookies to sell at a convention that is happening in my city. I'm told they had 1,000 attendees at last year's event (over the course of 3 days). I really don't know how many cookies to make. I was thinking maybe 200....but that's really an arbitrary number.

Does anyone have experience with this sort of thing? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

11 replies
Alissweettooth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alissweettooth Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 1:15pm
post #2 of 12

I would make more than 200 to play it safe. With a 1000 people, they will go fast. Unless there are several vendors, then less would be okay.

Maybe you could make some nuetral so that if you end up taking them home, you can still gift or freeze them. You could also do the extras as mini cookies so it doesn't take up too much, but your cookies are still there. I would hate to run out right away and you can alsways freeze any left overs.;o)

cathynac Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks for your input!

The event is a convention where there are speakers, actors from the genre and vendors selling things like books, movies, art, etc. I am almost positive I'll be the only food vendor there. I feel like there's no way to predict if they'll be wildly popular or completely overlooked!

I suppose none will go to waste...it would just be nice to actually sell them instead of give them away!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 23 Apr 2013 , 5:44pm
post #4 of 12

This is a tough one! If you can make more than 200 comfortably, I'd do that. Priced reasonably, I would think you could sell to more than 1 out of every 5, especially if there won't be other food vendors. Have some different sizes available so you can have different price points. However many you decide to go with, be sure to have plenty of business cards to hand out!

I'd love to hear the outcome, so keep us informed!

cathynac Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 11:48am
post #5 of 12

Thank you for your thoughts! I think I'll aim to do three to four hundred. The event is several months away, but with that many cookies the planning should start now! I'll let you know how it goes. :)

SuddenlySeymour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuddenlySeymour Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 12

I know this wasn't your question, and you likely already did this, but the first thing I thought of was to suggest also checking with the convention to make sure they'll let you sell.

I was planning on doing the same thing at our local comic con and found out the space wouldn't allow any other food vendors (the convention site had their own). They didn't even let artists put out candy bowls nor allow prepackaged, commercial food sales, such as Pocky at the anime booths.

Another local con at a hotel allowed commercial food sales but not fresh baked goods.

Good luck!

cathynac Posted 27 Apr 2013 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 12

Thanks for this comment. I was told that they were told no "competing food vendors" were allowed...so nothing that might take away from the hotel restaurant. The individual I spoke with thought I should be okay since it is just cookies. However, given your input, I may just follow up on this again!

cathynac Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 2:08pm
post #8 of 12

Hello! I know this post is from quite a while ago...but just wanted to fill you in on the event. I made about 350 cookies and they ALL sold! It seemed to be the perfect amount because I didn't sell out until the last hour or so. Thanks again for your previous input. :)

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 2:26pm
post #9 of 12

That is great!  Thanks for the update.  Did you take any pics of your horror themed cookies?  Would love to see them!

Liz

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 21 Oct 2013 , 3:47pm
post #11 of 12

Yes, I like the Carrie cookies, too.  So funny!

Liz

SuddenlySeymour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuddenlySeymour Posted 28 Oct 2013 , 12:42pm
post #12 of 12

Carrie and Ash are great. I'm glad it worked out for you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%