I Discovered A Nifty Gum Glue Application Tool

Decorating By crnewbold Updated 21 Apr 2013 , 7:54pm by auntginn

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to cake decorating and don't have a lot of experience with attaching dried decorations to fresh fondant.  I've used RI and melted chocolate, but you can sometimes see the glue glob.  Anyway, for my most recent cake I decided to make some gum glue using water and tylose (a recipe I found here on CC).  It made just a small quantity and decided to try something . . .  I poured it into a medical syringe, the kind with a removable plunger and a screw cap on the end (like this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FN897I/?tag=cakecentral-20+syringe.  It was easy to apply a drop of glue directly to my dried decoration and stick it to my cake.  And since I used only a tiny bit on my project I can cap the syringe and save it for my next project.  This might be old news to some of you pros, but I was quite excited at my "discovery". 

The recipe I followed was 2 Tbsp warm water and 1/4 tsp tylose.  Sprinkle tylose over water and let sit overnight.

4 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 5:33pm
post #2 of 5

Hi, that is really nice. but if you are gluing large flowers to the sides of your cake, i do believe you will need a stronger glue, like the melted chocolate. hth

crnewbold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crnewbold Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 6:52pm
post #3 of 5

Good point, thank you.  I have not tried gluing anything heavy to the side yet.  I was just gluing small flowers and pearls to the side, and a few flowers to the top.  I did have to support a couple of the side decorations with a pin so they didn't slide down. 

AndreasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AndreasCakes Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 7:05pm
post #4 of 5

Good find!

I use a water brush. I like the water brush because it distributes the glue very well. I found mine at Michael's for $3.99. It's like this one on JoAnn's website: http://www.joann.com/tim-holtz-water-brush-detailer-brush-nib-/zprd_11883063a/

I use those makeup brushes that you can add powder and blushes into through the back for coloring my flowers. I haven't tried those for gluing, but I think that they might work well too!

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%