kaylawaylalayla Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 9:23am
post #1 of

AWhat kind of chocolate do you prefer to use for ganaches? Brand? White, dark, milk? How do you flavor your ganaches? What is your stance on using food coloring in your ganache? If so what kind? Has anyone ever made a ganache not using cream?

21 replies
Chellescakes Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 10:13am
post #2 of

I prefer to use a good quality eating chocolate , I am of the opinion that if it taste good to eat , it will taste good as ganache. I happen to think melts or cooking chocolate are nasty . Blecccch . ( I have the same opinion about wine too ) 

 

I like to do  dark ganache the best , I find it sets up and works better as well as being not as sweet and is a nice counterpoint to the cake . 

 

Flavouring , I always flavour the cream before I add the chocolate to it. I have infused herbal and specialty teas, booze, essences . Flavouring oils. 

 

I have made ganache using coconut cream and it was lovely. 

kaylawaylalayla Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:12am
post #3 of

ADo you only use your ganachesfor covering and filling cakes? Would you use the same consistency for filling a truffle?

matthewkyrankelly Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 3:18am
post #4 of

It kind of depends.  More cream and less chocolate makes a smooth creamy filling.  More chocolate and less cream makes a firm base and sets up nicely.  If you have the time to try different ratios, make notes to see what you like for different uses.  Also, it is very forgiving and can be remelted  to add more cream or chocolate if you like.
 

kaylawaylalayla Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 3:33am
post #5 of

i'm mostly asking to find out other peoples preferences.

scrumdiddlycakes Posted 12 Jun 2013 , 4:08am
post #6 of

My favourite is lindt berne bars for ganache, it's a very smooth dark chocolate, but no bitterness.

I love a piece of really dark, slightly bitter chocolate, but most customers dont :)

I always use high quality eating chocolate, chocolate chips and candy melts have no place in a proper ganache, imo.

 

Like chellescakes said, I also flavour the cream beforehand. I really like steeping different teas in the cream, and making a white ganache. Earl grey is really yummy.

I also use fruit and berries, oils, etc.

 

I have made butter ganache, but I prefer tradition 1:1 heavy cream and chocolate. (the ratio changes depending on what type of chocoalte and what I am making it for, though)

CakeChemistry Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:47pm
post #7 of

AThis won't be popular, but after much trial and error, I have found the Aldi everyday value 52% dark choc brilliant. I bash the choc then pulse it in the kenwood before pouring the cream over. Perfect every time and everyone who tries it loves it. I have used quite a few different brands and this always works the vest. Don't know why, it might be my hob, or the way I whisk, or my expectations! But it is ace. X x x

Chellescakes Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 8:57pm
post #8 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeChemistry 

This won't be popular, but after much trial and error, I have found the Aldi everyday value 52% dark choc brilliant. I bash the choc then pulse it in the kenwood before pouring the cream over. Perfect every time and everyone who tries it loves it. I have used quite a few different brands and this always works the vest. Don't know why, it might be my hob, or the way I whisk, or my expectations! But it is ace. X x x

 

Aldi chocolate is my preference too , I just boil the cream and pop the choc in leave it for a few minutes then use a whisk to incorporate until smooth. I also have tried many brands and the Aldi always works and tastes great as well as being well priced. 

cupcakemaker Posted 22 Sep 2013 , 10:11pm
post #9 of

AI use tesco or morrisons basic! A mixture of dark and some milk so it's not so bitter.

Anna1211 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 7:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 
 

My favourite is lindt berne bars for ganache, it's a very smooth dark chocolate, but no bitterness.

I love a piece of really dark, slightly bitter chocolate, but most customers dont :)

I always use high quality eating chocolate, chocolate chips and candy melts have no place in a proper ganache, imo.

 

Like chellescakes said, I also flavour the cream beforehand. I really like steeping different teas in the cream, and making a white ganache. Earl grey is really yummy.

I also use fruit and berries, oils, etc.

 

I have made butter ganache, but I prefer tradition 1:1 heavy cream and chocolate. (the ratio changes depending on what type of chocoalte and what I am making it for, though)

 

HI scrum!

I was readying your post reply and i never steep teas before!! Can you please give me instruction on that. Do you use real tea leaves? If i want to make a earl grey buttercream, how would i do that? Please advise! Super excited! Thank you in advance!!

cazza1 Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 8:47am

I use Callebaut as I always have it on hand in white, milk and dark.  Tastes great by itself or in anything you might want to use chocolate for.

CakeChemistry Posted 23 Sep 2013 , 8:48pm

AI used the Aldi milk choc the other day with slightly higher percentage choc to cream to pipe onto my moist orange and almond cupcakes. They were hoovered up and raved over at work. I was really impressed with just how expensive the ganache tasted. Like I said previously, I have used really expensive high quality choc but apart from the expense I have found it too bitter and a bit 'too much' if that makes sense. It's good if you make something that carries liqueurs like a prinzregenstorte, but anything covering/filling cakes that I believe you are supposed to have a whacking great chunk of as part of a celebration I find the really expensive high cocoa solid content choc makes ganache that is too dense, it sets too hard and is too bitter. Hope I'm making sense. My post was really to say 'yay Aldi value chocolate'!

Sweetcakegirl Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 12:37pm

I really like the Semper ASM Brand Ganaches ( They were just bought out by Callabaut).  They come in a 12lb bucket that I buy from my online store.  They are imported from Sweden and are available in dark, milk, and white.  They add a great shine to my cakes and hold up well.

fondant feind Posted 24 Sep 2013 , 9:53pm

AOoh it has to be white. It's a bit more of a contemporary taste x

BahaQueen Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 6:22pm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 
 

I prefer to use a good quality eating chocolate , I am of the opinion that if it taste good to eat , it will taste good as ganache. I happen to think melts or cooking chocolate are nasty . Blecccch . ( I have the same opinion about wine too ) 

 

I like to do  dark ganache the best , I find it sets up and works better as well as being not as sweet and is a nice counterpoint to the cake . 

 

Flavouring , I always flavour the cream before I add the chocolate to it. I have infused herbal and specialty teas, booze, essences . Flavouring oils. 

 

I have made ganache using coconut cream and it was lovely. 

=====================================================================

 

@Chellescakes:

 

Just wanted to let you know that long after you made this post it is still helping others.  Actually I was quite amazed that you have infused specialty teas and since I am an avid tea sipper this is just awesome!!!  GRATITUDE :D 

vgcea Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 7:41pm

AInfusing ganache with teas and a whole bunch of other stuff is pretty common practice in the world of chocolates.

Chellescakes Posted 29 Sep 2013 , 11:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vgcea 

Infusing ganache with teas and a whole bunch of other stuff is pretty common practice in the world of chocolates.

 

I did think that Adriana Zumbo took it too far with pigs blood and Big Mac varieties. 

vgcea Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 12:57am

AUgh! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

BahaQueen Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 4:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by vgcea 

Ugh! I think I just threw up a little in my mouth.

 

lmfao vgcea!!!!!!!!

CakeChemistry Posted 30 Sep 2013 , 8:17pm

AWtf? Pigs blood? Why oh why? Never mind sick in my mouth, it came involuntarily down my nose. Clotty aneurism ganache anyone? Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

brendajarmusz Posted 7 Oct 2013 , 7:10am

AThat's just gross.

scatt1992 Posted 21 Nov 2013 , 2:15pm

Please can someone help me

 

I am making a mans torso cake for a hen do on sat 23rd. I bought the cream for the ganche few days ago and the date for the cream is 23rd, the hen is on the 23rd. so will this be okay to use? will it be safe to eat after 23rd? Please help!!
Thank you!!!

 

Stephanie xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%