What Kind Of Butter Cream Should I Use Before Applying Fondant?

Decorating By mellbel25 Updated 21 Apr 2013 , 3:14pm by mellbel25

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 4:38am
post #1 of 3

AHey everyone.

I have been making cakes for couple months now and so far I have been doing good, but there are a few things I need help on

Number one: what kind of frosting should I use on the cake before applying fondant? If I decide to use store bought BC, Do I have to add something to the can for it to stiffen up? I have used just the can before and it melted and messed up the fondant, so I had to start all over again. Very frustrating!

How do I get the fondant to look soo smooth? Some of my cakes have came out a little lumpy with bubbles. ;(

Any tips would be helpful! Thank you.

2 replies
kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 5:23am
post #2 of 3

AHi there and welcome to cc. Are you buying frosting from the grocery store? Pretty sure you don't want to use that under fondant, it will never harden like you want it to ( unless someone here tells it different I could be wrong ) You can buy wilton buttercream from a craft store but its very stiff and very hard to work with, you really want to make your own buttercream its not hard to make. This makes a fairly small amount of buttercream I double the recipe if I make this recipe.

m.wilton.com/recipes/recipe.cfm?alias=Class-Buttercream-Icing-Stiff-Consistency

The buttercream takes a few minutes to harden up after you are done smoothing it out. Here's a video on how to put buttercream on a cake so that the buttercream is smooth.

m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6Vgcx5GZTnM&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6Vgcx5GZTnM

mellbel25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellbel25 Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 3:14pm
post #3 of 3

AThank you very much! I appreciate it. I also know how to make my own buttercream, but for the last couple cakes I have been using the store bought. I guess I just have to go back to making my own.

Thank you for the advice & videos! Very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%