Pricing Query!!! Please Help!

Business By SisBoomBah Updated 21 Apr 2013 , 6:44pm by SisBoomBah

SisBoomBah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SisBoomBah Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 1:39am
post #1 of 6

Hey everyone!

I have my first commissioned cake order and I have no clue about pricing!

After reading a few articles and came up with the price of $80-$90 but I'm not sure and really would like your help!

I'm making a cake with two tiers, one 8 inch and the second 6 inch.

The cakes and butter cream will be made from scratch, but I will be using fondant.

I am considering making my own but would not be opposed to just buying it. 

The design looks similar to this but without stripes on the top tier and musicals notes on the bottom instead of the stripes!

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

5 replies
DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 1:56am
post #2 of 6

I'm not certain what the market is like in your area, if your skills are similar to those in the photo, or what your overhead/costs are.

Based on the Wilton standard, the cake sizes you have chosen will serve 36.  If you charge $80, that is $2.22 per serving.  At $90, that is $2.50.  Does that cover your cost & allow for profit?

Personally, in my area & with my level of expertise, the cost of that cake (including bow, monogram, musical notes) would be $200.  that does not include the items on the cake board.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 2:00am
post #3 of 6

AYou need to determine what your costs will be (ingredients, labor, and overhead on a per-order basis) then look at market value in your area to determine your markup.

Where are you located? The market value for that cake will probably be in the $120-240 range.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 2:09am
post #4 of 6

AIf the girl that is getting the cake is getting a car for her birthday ( the car keys) than if her parents can afford her a car than a $200 cake shouldn't hurt them either ...lol just my 2 cents worth.

meriem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meriem Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 10:10am
post #5 of 6

AI don't think those are real car keys- just fondant decorations. In terms if pricing you need to break it all down like Jason adviced

SisBoomBah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SisBoomBah Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 6:44pm
post #6 of 6

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for your help! I gave her a price before I remembered I had posted here, and looking at what DeliciousDesserts said, I might have under charged just a bit! O_O But I've only been doing cakes for two years, so I don't know....

But again, thanks everyone!!!! I honestly didn't think anyone would even notice this little post; much less respond! 

:)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%