Anyone Offer Fondant Included Pricing For Weddings?

Business By jenmat Updated 28 Apr 2013 , 4:54pm by TheLoveOfSugar

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 8:38pm
post #1 of 14

I am figuring out 2014 pricing for my wedding cakes and need some thoughts. 

I do the typical buttercream $xxx and fondant add $xxx. What I'm running into is the "we LOVE this cake, but we don't want to spend extra on fondant. We want you to do it in buttercream." 

Now, I don't have a problem with that. However, sometimes a design is made MORE difficult when it is supposed to be fondant but you ask for buttercream. 

I charge per serving, and it is mostly all inclusive, with a few upcharges. This is typical in the market I am in. So, now I am debating between jacking up the price the normal $.10-.15 for buttercream and then keeping a fondant charge, or jacking it up by quite a bit and offering their choice of buttercream OR fondant. 

You'd think that jacking it up high would chase these people away, but I'm really getting the feeling that it is simply the idea of adding a cost to their per serving pricetag that they think they don't need, not the pricetag itself. As in, "well, we like this hotel and definitely want to stay here, but I don't need the upgrade to the suite- no need to overdo it!"

Does that make any sense at all?

I am in the middle of the pack for pricing right now, and should really be at the top end. So I have a lot of wiggle room. Including fondant would maybe be a good marketing tool at bridal shows, and reduce some of my "can you do it in buttercream" headaches. 

Anyone offer fondant within their base price? Thoughts?

13 replies
liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 14

I would jack it up quite a bit, and offer buttercream or fondant for $XXX.  That way you make more $$$ and are compensated for having to adapt a design from one medium to another.

Liz

SwtCanuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SwtCanuck Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 8:57pm
post #3 of 14

I offer both at the same price. I can do a fondant covered wedding cake faster than trying to get the buttercream all perfect. I only charge more for detailed designs or added flowers.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 11:26pm
post #4 of 14

AI have been debating with this too. I have clients who don't want to pay more for fondant, but want fondant. I'm on the fence.

klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 11:37pm
post #5 of 14

My cakes are priced the same for both buttercream and fondant.  

jenmat Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 1:12am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

I have been debating with this too. I have clients who don't want to pay more for fondant, but want fondant. I'm on the fence.

Yeah, the fence for me too. I feel if I make the decision, I can't really take it back- once you offer all, you need to keep it that way, right? 

For everyone who has done this, what is the response? Do clients appreciate the flexibility?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 1:59am
post #7 of 14

My prices are the same for both buttercream and fondant.  My clients do seem to like not having to make a choice based on price.

Also, depending on the design I have no problem telling clients that the design they want really needs to be done in fondant.  While many fondant cakes can be replicated in buttercream, sometimes they really can't.  If they are set on that particular design then they either choose the fondant or I suggest they look for another baker.  I would rather walk away than try and replicate a cake and then deal with how upset they are when it doesn't look like they want.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 2:18am
post #8 of 14

AYep, I don't price less for BC only either.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 2:20am
post #9 of 14

AAnd yeah, don't ever let someone haggle you into making a cake in BC when you know it needs to be done in fondant. Ever. Not worth the grief.

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 4:13am
post #10 of 14

AOur starting price for fondant is higher than for BC, because adding fondant is an extra step.

If a design can only be executed in fondant we won't accept a BC order for that design at any price. If a design is simpler to execute in fondant than BC, the fondant price will be lower, and vice versa.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 20 Apr 2013 , 5:34am
post #11 of 14

I too charge the same for fondant as I do buttercream.  It may be an "extra step" to put on fondant but so is all the piping and rustic swishing people want these days in buttercream. I used to charge less for buttercream but upcharge for certain piping, now I charge the same and don't upcharge.  Makes stuff so much easier.

jenmat Posted 21 Apr 2013 , 3:41pm
post #12 of 14

Thanks everyone- that is kind of where I am thinking. To refuse a cake that should be done in fondant but could be done in buttercream albeit with more effort would be to loose business. I am hoping that maybe if I offered both I could then dictate more to bridal couples what is best for their cake, not their sensibilities. I like the idea of simplification of the pricing process- fromscratch- you don't do a price per serving though- you bid it out per project? Or does your per serving charge envelope most skills you would need for any particular design?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Apr 2013 , 8:32pm
post #13 of 14

AI charge extra for fondant, it's an additional cost and additional time. Why not just charge for the buttercream but add an upcharge if you know it's going to be a PITA for a fondant design on buttercream? Or charge the fondant price for that particular cake? That's a time issue so it would make sense to do that.

I charge a flat price per cake and don't take the design into account. Which a lot of people would say makes no sense, but for cakes that take less time (rustic icing, oh my God those are so fast) it evens out with the ones that take more. My pricing is on the higher end for this area...If I charged the higher fondant price for buttercream it would make me more expensive than anyone else for basic cakes, and that wouldn't fly.

TheLoveOfSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheLoveOfSugar Posted 28 Apr 2013 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 14

AI too find it easier and quicker to cover the cake in fondant as opposed to pulling my hair out trying to get that smooth glass finish. That is why I smile to myself for charging more for fondant covered cakes at the end of the project. Im surprised so many of y'all (yes I'm a country girl) charge the same procefor bc and fondant. However, I learned earlier today that I need to up the charge a little bit more. I've perfected my craft enough to know my cakes are worth it. Plus, I offer unique flavor combos such as chocolate espresso with salted buttercream. So I probably need to charge more for my "premium" flavors as well. Jason_kraft had some very helpful info for me. Much appreciated Jason!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%